Sunday, March 11, 2007

Two Toys

Sunday is Featured Stamper Challenge day at SCS. This new challenge is fast becoming one of my favorites. It makes me think about different elements in a card's design and how and why they work well together. Today's featured stamper, Toy/Holly, uses lots and lots of layers in her cards. Her cards always stand out in the SCS gallery. You can see her gallery here. I tried two cards this afternoon using Holly's cards as models.

I love the bright, cheery colors of this card. It uses an almost identical color scheme as the original. Since I don't have any Lavendar Lace cardstock, I replaced it with Lovely Lilac. The original card used the flowers from Delight in Life, which I replaced with the flowers from Polka-Dot Posies. I chose the Polka-Dot Posies images to go with the dots in the Hot to Dot pattern on the Gable Green cardstockI added clear buttons with gingham ribbon in the flower centers and changed the embossed sentiment from "best wishes" to "thanks."


For this card, I kept the basic layout and the set used for the focal image the same, but changed the color scheme entirely to coordinate with the colors in my striped ribbon. I tried to cut around the flower image a little before layering it on to the Cool Caribbean panel, like in the original card, but I'm not thrilled with how that part of the card came out. The original card used a different Jumbo Wheel for the background, but the one I used has a similar, weathered effect. I added a piece of narrow organdy ribbon and silver cord tied around the wide ribbon and changed the location of the sentiment because of where I positioned the ribbon. I also added additional details to the flower image--Waterfall Stickles in the flower centers, Crystal Effects brushed over the water in the vase for a shiny look, and silver brads. I got the Sassy Stems images through the SCS WISH-RAK forum and I'm really liking them. They may just find their way on to my next SU! order.

Materials Used (Polka-Dot Posies card):
From Stampin' Up!: Polka-Dot Posies stamp set; Hot to Dot wheel and wheel handle; Gable Green, Green Galore, Pink Passion, and Lovely Lilac Classic inks; Gable Green, Pink Passion, Lovely Lilac, and Whisper White cardstock; white grosgrain; stampin' dimensionals; glue dots
Other: Cuttlebug embossing folder; clear buttons (Foo-fa-la); purple gingham (Walmart)

Materials Used (Sassy Stems card):
From Stampin' Up!: Sassy Stems and All Year Cheer 1 stamp sets; Rough Texture Jumbo Wheel and wheel handle; Basic Black and Almost Amethyst ink; Cool Caribbean, Almost Amethyst, Elegant Eggplant, and Whisper White cardstock; Wonderful Watercolor Crayons; aquapainter; silver cord; stampin' dimensionals; Crystal Effects; silver brads
Other: Waterfall Stickles (Ranger); white organdy (Joann); striped ribbon (Michaels)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips