Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Dots and Doodles

I got a big box of SU! stuff in the mail on Monday and hadn't gotten a chance to use any of it yet, so I had to pull out one of my new stamp sets, Doodle This, for today's SCS sketch challenge. I must be one of the last stampers to cave in and buy this fun set. I got sold on Doodle This after seeing so many great samples at the VA Beach Regional last month. Even though doodle-y stuff isn't my style, I've really grown to like the set.

It took me a while to figure out how I wanted to deal with the triangle pieces on this sketch--then a while longer to figure out how to cut the paper to make it work (straight lines are not my friends . . .). Once I mastered the art of cutting a non-crooked triangle , I colored the dots on the Au Chocolat patterned paper by using a brayer to apply Cool Caribbean ink to the paper. Thanks to Vera for teaching me this fun tip last weekend at the Northern VA Shoebox Swap we attended.

I heat embossed the flower with Close to Cocoa craft ink and clear embossing powder, then used my aquapainter and Cool Caribbean reinker to color the flower. I added a big self-adhesive rhinestone in the center and dotted Turquoise Stickles on the flower for sparkle. It's hard to see in the photo, but I "curled" the flower petals to add dimension. I saw this on Jimmi's swap card from the SCS VA Beach dinner (click here to see it) and knew I wanted to include that detail on this card. I set the flower on a Chocolate Chip circle for contrast and placed that on a scalloped circle.

Tomorrow is my birthday, so be sure to visit for the chance to pick up some blog candy, as promised.

Materials Used:
From Stampin' Up!: Doodle This stamp set; Cool Caribbean Classic ink; Close to Cocoa Craft ink; Cool Caribbean, Chocolate Chip, Tempting Turquoise, and Whisper White cardstock; Au Chocolat designer paper; mat pack and paper piercing tool; aquapainter; Crystal Clear embossing powder; Coluzzle and circle template; brayer; dimensionals
Other: mega scalloped circle punch (Marvy Uchida); self adhesive rhinestone (Michaels); Turquoise Stickles (Ranger); turquoise grosgrain (AC Moore dollar bin)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips