Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Think Pink!

Today's color challenge on SCS was to create a card using only pink inks and cardstock, along with neutral colors. I knew right away that I wanted to use my flocked pink paisley paper for this challenge and that I wanted to use some kind of framed image. That was about all I came up with right away! This card took a long time to come together, partly because I had trouble fitting all the pieces together and partly because Cosmo is having some kind of issue and has been poking at me every two minutes or so for the past two hours. One of my neighbors is moving something around outside and the noise is freaking him out--although he supposedly has some watch dog in him, unfortunately for me, he has not proven to be particularly brave.


I changed the framed image a few times before deciding on the image from Polka Dots & Petals. I started with images from Doodle That, but didn't like how they looked with the paisley. Once I decided on the flower from Polka Dots & Petals, I thought it looked lost in the frame, so I added some paper piercing and dry embossing to add interest. The original design did not have either the black panel under the paisley paper or the white panel with the sentiment. I added both of those elements after I decided the design was too boring. I think those changes made a big difference in the card.












Here's a hint for using punches to make frames. It's probably not new to you, but it's something that I've found helpful. So that I get the punched out center in the right place of a frame, I use the punch for the center to punch out a piece of sticky note. Then, I center the sticky note piece on the piece that will be the frame (in my picture, the blue scalloped circle will be the frame part).





To make the frame, I slide the frame piece into the punch and turn it over so I can line up the sticky note with the area that will be punched out, then punch out the shape. I store the sticky note by sticking it on top of the punch, right over the shape image, so that I'll have it ready to use over again.




Materials Used:
From Stampin' Up!: Polka Dots & Petals, Polka Dots & Posies, and Sweet & Sassy stamp sets; Pixie Pink, Pretty in Pink, and Pink Passion Classic inks; Pink Passion Craft ink; Pixie Pink, Pink Passion, Basic Black, and Whisper White cardstock; small corner rounder; mat pack and paper piercing tool; Seeing Spots Classy Brass template; dimensionals; black organdy ribbon; white gel pen; Iridescent Ice embossing powder
Other: flocked pink paisley paper (Target); mega scalloped circle punch and 1 1/2" circle punch (Marvy Uchida); self-adhesive rhinestone (Joann)


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips