Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Doodled Happy Day

I've been fighting a cold for the past few days, so I thought using some cheerful and bright colors might help me to feel a bit better. So, for today's SCS sketch challenge I used the same bright colors and technique I used for an earlier Ways to Use it challenge--crayon resist. I really like how these colors look together on the glossy cardstock.

I stamped the large doodled flower in White Craft ink, then covered it with white embossing powder. After heating it and letting it cool, I trimmed around the flower and curled the petals for dimension. I used a glue dot to attach it to the strip of paper across the front of the card. There's a big self-adhesive rhinestone in the flower's center. The rhinestone is a perfect fit, almost like it was made for this image. The sentiment is a combination of words from Polka Dots & Paisley and Everyday Flexible Phrases. Even though the fonts from the two sets are different, they still work well together.

Even with the bling in the center of the flower, the card front looked a little plain, so I used the mat pack and paper piercing tool to make a frame for two corners of the flower panel. It added enough to make the card look finished without being too busy. Before I settled on that, I tried stamping the dots from Polka Dots & Paisley on the card front, but it was way too much. Hopefully, the recipient of this card will overlook the dotted mess on the back!

Materials Used:
From Stampin' Up!: Doodle This, Polka Dots & Paisley, and Everyday Flexible Phrases stamp sets; Basic Black, Tempting Turquoise, Pixie Pink, Pink Passion, Green Galore, and Almost Amethyst Classic inks; White Craft ink; Pixie Pink, Tempting Turquoise, Lovely Lilac, and glossy white cardstock; Winter White embossing powder; mat pack and paper piercing tool; glue dot; sponge daubers

Other: yellow crayon; self-adhesive rhinestone (Michaels); crystal brad (Making Memories)

4 comments:

  1. I just found your blog...I followed the link from your TLC116 post. Loved the 4 flowers!

    I just had to let you know...
    I think this card (doodled happy day) is gorgeous!!! You used my favorite colors.

    I scrolled down the rest of your blog, and immediately subscribed...
    I like your style!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now who would mind a "messy back" when the front of the card is this gorgeous! Hope you feel better soon, Lori!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lori,
    You really have a gift. I love this doodle card. I have not used my set yet, I find it challenging..Chris

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really gorgeous! I love the colors you've used....put together beautifully!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips