Thursday, June 7, 2007

New Stamps!

Even though I'm still feeling crummy and I had to go to class tonight, I couldn't resist the lure of new stamps! My Stampin' Up! order full of new things from the preview catalog arrived today, a full day earlier than it was scheduled to be delivered. Being on the east coast, I'm used to my boxes taking a LONG time to arrive from SU!, so this was a fantastic surprise. I placed my order on Friday morning and figured it wouldn't get shipped until sometime early this week, so to have it in my hands today was really unexpected. When my long-awaited and missing copy of the actual Preview Catalog arrives, however, still remains to be seen . . .

So, while I was home for a few minutes between work and class admiring my new stuff--and letting Cosmo out-- I decided that when I got home, I'd reward myself for making it through the day by using In the Spotlight for a quick card. I've been trying to come up with a Father's Day card for my dad. I used my new stuff and today's SCS Ways to Use It challenge for some inspiration. The challenge was to use chipboard. The chipboard on my card is kinda hidden. It's the coppery piece on the left side of the card. I cut a piece of chipboard into a circle shape, then covered it in Versamark and copper embossing powder. After heating the powder, I added more embossing powder and reheated. I repeated this several times. Embossing powder, the air conditioning, and my sneezing do not mix well! After a few layers, I covered the largest image from In the Spotlight in Versamark and pressed it into the still-warm copper embossing powder to make a faux metal accent piece. I trimmed closely around the circle image to finish it.

This card uses three of the new In Colors--River Rock, Blue Bayou, and Soft Sky. River Rock is more green than the khaki I thought it would be. I stamped the Linen background on the cardfront in the matching River Rock ink, but it doesn't show up in the photo. I like the Blue Bayou and Soft Sky colors a lot. I like the card, but I'm not sure it works for a Father's Day card though. Is it masculine enough? Let me know what you think . . .

Materials Used:
From Stampin' Up!: In the Spotlight, Background Sampler and All-Around Argyle stamp sets; Blue Bayou and River Rock Classic inks; Versamark; Blue Bayou, River Rock, and Soft Sky cardstock; Classy Copper embossing powder; word window punch; mat pack and paper piercing tool; dimensional; Coluzzle and circle template
Other: copper brad (Making Memories)

5 comments:

  1. love it! I think it's masculine enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Card & it's just right for a Masculine card. I love the idea you had for using the chipboard piece like that. I just got my set so haven't had a chance to play yet. Ida

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! The copper doesn't show (to me), but looks more like a terracotta medallion. Very pretty! Sorry you're not feeling well. :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips