Monday, June 11, 2007

Retro Bella

After I finished my homework for class tomorrow night, I rewarded myself by trying out today's Technique Lovers Challenge on SCS. The technique is called grout-free tiling. To me, "faux" home improvement techniques are much more fun than the real ones (such as the never-ending bi-fold closet door project that consumed my weekend yet again). I knew right away I wanted to use some of this Basic Grey Phoebe paper for a retro look for the tiles, along with my Cosmobella stamp. The paper also looked great with some of SU!'s new In Colors--a bonus!

I cut the paper into 1" squares, being careful to keep the paper pieces lined up so I didn't end up with a puzzle when trying to match the patterned images up. I covered the paper with Versamark, then with Glassy Glaze. It took two coats of the heavy embossing powder to get this look. Unfortunately, when I started to use my heat tool, grains of the glaze kind of splattered all over my work area, so when I finish this, I'll be busy peeling it off the table and other stuff . . .

I stamped Cosmobella on white cardstock and colored her with Prismacolor pencils. Her shirt is made with paper piecing. I stamped the Bella image on a scrap of patterned cardstock and *carefully* cut around the shirt, then used it to fill in the shirt of my stamped Bella. I added some Crystal Effects to Bella's drink for extra shine and to match the shiny look of the tiled background.
Materials Used:
From Stampin' Up!: Basic Black, Bayou Blue, and River Rock Classic inks; Versamark; Bayou Blue, River Rock, Wild Wasabi, Soft Sky, and Whisper White cardstock; large oval punch; Crystal Effects; Glassy Glaze; dimensionals
Other: Cosmobella and Cheers stamps (Stamping Bella); small oval stamp (Amuse Art Stamps); Prismacolor pencils; Phoebe patterned paper (Basic Grey); green jeweled brad (Making Memories)

6 comments:

  1. Super! Love the colors! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lori,
    this is perfect for the challenge. I agree the faux is MUCH better than the real. I still have to work on this challenge. Have a great week. Excellent Bella card!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW, love your card!!! TFS :-)

    Maureenabella from the Netherlands.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that BG! Too cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. love this Lori! so fun and the technique looks great!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Terrific Job on the card...I love it!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips