Saturday, August 25, 2007

Friend-Ship

For Beate's weekend sketch challenge, I used an already stamped and colored image from Boatloads of Love that was left over from a swap I made for the SCS dinner at the SU! convention in Denver. That made this card go a lot quicker than it would have otherwise. I modified the layout a little so I could make the card have a horizontal orientation, rather than the vertical one shown in her sketch. I think it worked out okay this way, too.

The image is colored with SU!'s watercolor pencils and an aquapainter. It's hard to see in the photo, but there are a few fun details on the ship panel. I used Liquid Applique to make puffy clouds--fun! And, I added some Crystal Effects to the windows at the top of the ship to make them look like they were made of glass.

I added a piece of wide Chocolate Chip grosgrain as a tab at one side of the ship image. I probably should have placed it a little bit lower than I did--oh, well . . . I'm having a hard time figuring out how to work with this wide grosgrain. It's hard to tie it into a knot and it takes up much more space on a card front than I'm used to ribbon doing.

The background is embossed with the Cuttlebug D'Vine swirls embossing folder. It reminds me of the ocean waves, so I thought it would work well with the ship here. I added a strip of dotted paper from one of the pieces of paper in one of my Palette of Prints paper packs across the front and circle accents to finish the card. I stamped the sentiment in two parts so I could fit it on to a circle.

Materials Used:
From Stampin' Up!: Boatloads of Love and Background Sampler stamp sets; Basic Black, Basic Brown, and Bashful Blue Classic inks; Ballet Blue, Real Red, Bashful Blue, Close to Cocoa, and Very Vanilla cardstock; Rose Red Prints Series designer paper; 1 " circle punch; corner rounder; dimensionals; Watercolor Pencils; aquapainter; sponge; Crystal Effects; wide Chocolate Chip grosgrain; mat pack and paper piercing tool
Other: 1 3/4", 1 1/2", and 1 1/8" circle punches (EK Success); white Liquid Applique (Marvy Uchida); D'Vine Swirls embossing folder (Cuttlebug)

6 comments:

  1. Lori, I am in love with your card! So fun! Great Colors, wonderful set for this sketch!
    Thanks so much for trying the sketch. Have a great weekend. Hugs and smiles

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is SO cute! Great job with the sketch! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. that card is sooo cute - love the way you did this sketch challenge! Found you through Beate and I am glad I did! Will be back to visit! *STAMPIN HUGS* Alex

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great take on Beate's sketch!

    Love your card :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. cute idea for the sketch and I really like the clouds!

    ReplyDelete
  6. cute, cute card. I've been thinking about buying this set!! Love the clouds!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips