Sunday, August 5, 2007

Not My Style

For this week's Featured Stamper challenge on SCS, I decided to make my card with a SU! style Boho West twist. At convention, one of the free sets demos received was the Western-themed Wanted set. Also, I won a package of the new Outlaw designer paper and pewter jumbo eyelets at the convention pajama party. So, I figured I should give these things a try, even though they are way outside of my stamping comfort zone (except the jumbo eyelets--those I can work with!)

This week's featured stamper is 88 keys/Deb. You can see her gallery here and the card I used as the basis for my card here. I kept the layout of the card the same, but changed the colors. The original card was much more feminine with a flower accent as a focal point and lace and pearl accents. Here I used two different patterns from the Outlaw paper package. One of the papers was striped, as was the paper in the original card. I heat embossed the medallion image, then punched it out with my very temperamental scalloped circle punch. I think my replacement punch is on its way. Hopefully it will work . . . I used a circle punch to punch out the center of another heat embossed medallion and put a jumbo eyelet through the center of it. The Cropodile makes these big eyelets so easy to set.

I picked a sentiment from the Happy Everything set to finish the card. Had my Fundamental Phrases set that I just ordered been here, I would have used that instead. I think that set's larger font would have looked better here.

I like how this card came out, but I'm still not a Boho West fan. Even with all of the demonstrations at convention and with the Wanted set samples done for convention by the talented display stampers, I'm still not sold . . .

Materials Used:
From Stampin' Up!: Wanted and Happy Everything stamp sets; Chocolate Chip Classic ink; Close to Cocoa Craft ink; Versamark; Chocolate Chip, Sahara Sand, and Always Artichoke cardstock; Outlaw designer paper; scalloped circle punch; large oval punch; 1 3/8" circle punch; Crystal Clear and Very Vanilla embossing powders; slit punch; white gel pen; mat pack and paper piercing tool; pewter jumbo eyelet; dimensionals; taupe grosgrain (retired)Other: star brad (Making Memories)

6 comments:

  1. I agree, those stamps are not as much my style either. BUT I think your card came out Beautifully!!! To take something not your style and still make a card thats beautiful is great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to say the exact same thing as wife2tj, almost word for word, so I will just say ditto! :) lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your card! Great job! This set is on my list. I've been saving ideas and am adding yours to my collection!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seriously you're not a "fan" of the Boho Western style? Your card couldn't prove that as it's wonderful! The jumbo eyelet is really cool (I have to get some) and I love the embossing on this. This set will grow on you if you give it a chance! Ida

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like it. It's very pleasing to the eye! You did a great job! TFS

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips