Friday, September 7, 2007

Bloggers Challenge: Week 11

This week's Bloggers Challenge was to use the layout on page 12 of the SU! Holiday Mini catalog to create a card. Fortunately, this one proved to be a much easier challenge than last week's layout challenge! This is a great layout to use to showcase those pretty patterned papers that I've been collecting (and that you probably are, too!) and to use some larger pieces of chipboard (or other stuff, as you'll see in this post). It was such a fun layout to work with that I have two samples to share for the challenge.

The focal point on the sample card was a large chipboard star. This made me think of a snowflake, so I ended up with a winter-themed card, despite the 90+ degree weather we're having here. I used two different pieces of patterned paper from Memory Box's Winter Wonderland collection. This paper package has a nice variety of wintery-feeling papers and it coordinates really well with a lot of different shades of blue.

The snowflake is actually a decorated wood cutout. It already sparkled with its glittery coating, but I embellished it a little by adding some rhinestones to the center and around the edges. It's attached to a circle layered on a large scalloped circle using dimensionals. The only stamping on the card is the sentiment, sparkle, from the Warm Words set. I really like the way this card came out. Unfortunately, I don't think this card will ever get mailed because of the wooden accent piece . . .

The second card has a color scheme taken straight from the Fall Flowers designer paper pack--my very favorite in the new SU! catalog. The focal point is a piece of chipboard from the chipboard set that was available to SU! demos at convention. I covered the chipboard flower in a piece of Soft Sky Prints Series designer paper. The flower's center is inked with Old Olive craft ink and covered with Iridescent Ice embossing powder. I attached a Soft Sky colored button to the flower's center, too. The sentiment on this card is also from the Warm Words set.

I will definitely use this layout again. Both of these cards came together really quickly and easily. Be sure to check out the creations made by the other Blogger Challenge participants. We have some new members joining us this week and I can't wait to see what they (and the other group members) have to share.

Materials Used (Snowflake Card):
From Stampin' Up!: Warm Words stamp set; Night of Navy Classic ink; Night of Navy and Brocade Blue cardstock; silver brads; silver cord; photo corner punch
Other: patterned paper (Memory Box's Winter Wonderland Collection); wood snowflake (AC Moore); large self-adhesive rhinestone (Joann); small rhinestones (Walmart); mega scalloped circle (Marvy Uchida); 1 3/4" circle punch (EK Success); white organdy ribbon (Joann)

Materials Used (Flower Card):
From Stampin' Up!: Warm Words stamp set; Blue Bayou Classic ink; Old Olive Craft ink; Old Olive cardstock; Fall Flowers and Soft Sky Prints Series designer paper; On Board Blossoms chipboard; Blue Bayou stitched grosgrain; Iridescent Ice embossing powder; Certainly Celery grosgrain; pop-up glue dot
Other: button (American Crafts); brads (Making Memories)

20 comments:

  1. I really like both -- but the layers on the snowflake make that one really special!
    Pat
    http://www.patstamps.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job with this weeks challenge. Love the scallop layers under the wood snowflake.
    Lisa Somerville

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two great cards Lori! I love how you incorporated your sentiments up one of the panels. That was the hardest part of the sketch for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lori, great cards but I'd say my favorite is the 2nd one, I love the colors in it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both of your cards are So pretty. I also like the sentiment on the panels and the Snowflake card is exquisite!!!!

    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  6. fun snowflake! you go girl! two cards!?! you overachiever, you! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooohhh! I LOVE the snowflake card especially, but both are great. VERY nice job on this challenge!

    Connie
    http://inkspiredtreasures.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great cards! I've got to pick the Snowflake card as my favorite though. Very elegant and wintery. Oh and I like how you did the sentiments on the sides (wish I had thought of that)

    By the way you can use a bubble wrap mailer for these types of cards (that's what I do) to protect them. Ida

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are both so pretty, and I loooove the colors in the second card! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So much to see two different interpretations side by side and how one layout can look so different!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome... I love both cards - especially the sentiment on the side. I ended up not using one on my card because I couldn't find a good place for it... but you handled it very nicely! Cute, cute, cute.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I'm in love with the snowflake card! (Maybe because it's so hot and I can't wait for wintertime? LOL) Both cards are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. beautiful- beautiful - thanks so much for the inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your wooden snowflake card is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love both of these cards. Your snowflake card is really outsanding. All the dimension really adds so much!

    ReplyDelete
  16. oohh - love both of these!! love the scallop under the snowflake!

    ReplyDelete
  17. what a neat idea to use the big snowflake! And I love the stacked center of the chipboard flower. Both are great cards!
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips