Thursday, December 6, 2007

My Very First ATCs

I made two ATCs (artist trading cards) tonight and incorporated them into full-size cards for a challenge from My Favorite Things in the SCS Member Forums. The winner of the challenge will be a guest designer for MFT in January--fun! So, I pulled out some of my MFT stamp sets and got to work. This was my first time trying ATCs. They were fun and not too hard to make. It took a little while to get used to working in a smaller scale than a cardfront. Even with the small size, you can still have a lot of details on the piece.

This card uses a sketch challenge that was posted in the MFT member forum on SCS a few weeks ago. It was hard to photograph because the front kept popping open. The ATC was the perfect size for the piece on the front of the card. I stamped the woman holding the cake image on white cardstock, then colored it with Copic markers and cut it out. I cut the cake apart from the woman's hands and used dimensionals to attach it to the mat so it would stand out a little. I also added some Stickles to the icing and candle flames.

The paisley flocked paper is what inspired the card's colors. I love the bright pinks and great texture of the paper. I decided to go with pink and brown here and make it a chocolatey cake, even though I don't like chocolate myself . . .


The second card uses the Let's Go for a Walk stamp set. I love those dogs. I just wish Cosmo were as well-behaved on a leash as the dogs in this image appear to be. It would make walking him so much easier! Anyway, like in the first card, I stamped the main image on white cardstock, colored it, then trimmed around it. This one was not easy to cut around with all of the dog and people legs and tiny hats to contend with. The dog noses and the woman's shoes are colored with a black Glaze pen for some shine. I used dimensionals to attach the image to the ATC front. I used a sponge to add some green inks to the bottom of the ATC to look like grass. The sentiment is stamped in craft ink.

To go with the dots on the dress, I used the Polka Dot background stamp to make tone on tone dots on the cardfront.

Tomorrow is Blogger Challenge day. Check back tomorrow to see my project--which does double duty as the holiday card I've been hard at work finishing up to send out on time . . .

Materials Used--You Take the Cake Card:
You Take the Cake stamp set (My Favorite Things Stamps); Pink Passion, Soft Sky, and Chocolate Chip cardstock, Close to Cocoa Prints Series designer paper, slit punch, dimensionals (Stampin' Up!); pink grosgrain ribbon (Michaels); Platinum and Cotton Candy Stickles (Ranger); paisley flocked paper (Target); Copic markers

Materials Used--Let's Go for a Walk Card:
Let's Go for a Walk stamp set (My Favorite Things Stamps); Polka Dot background stamp, Ballet Blue Craft ink, Soft Sky, Green Galore, Garden Green Classic inks, Soft Sky and Ballet Blue cardstock, Close to Cocoa Prints Series designer paper, slit punch, dimensionals, sponge (Stampin Up!); brown satin ribbon (Michaels); black Glaze pen (Sakura); Copic markers

8 comments:

  1. I've never done an ATC before, but yours look wonderful! So much work in such a little piece of cardstock! Great job! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice. I love the colors you've used.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are adorable. I love em... Usually I see ATC's that are less detail - not nearly as good as a real cardfront. Thanks for sharing you just might have sparked some interest in making some.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've not made ATC's either...but yours are goregeous! Hmmmm....could be another addiction!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice cards,you did a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both are wonderful! Great ATC's.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your ATC's they turned out great. All the detail is so nice.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips