Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Snow No . . .

Today was the first snow of the season in the Washington DC area. One thing this area is not known for is its ability to deal with winter weather. The snow started to fall right at the start of the morning rush hour--pretty much the worst possible time for it to happen. My ten mile drive to work takes about 15 minutes in no traffic (weekends) and about 30 minutes or so on a regular weekday morning. Today it took me over an hour and a half to get to work. I live right near the interstate and the traffic was so backed up, I couldn't even get to the highway. I ended up taking a whole bunch of alternate routes to work. I guess that's an advantage of having lived here most of my life--I have some idea of back ways to get from place to place. In case you're wondering how much snow it takes to put the nation's capital in gridlock, I can say that by the end of rush hour this morning, there was maybe an inch to an inch and a half of snow on the ground. Doesn't take much here!

So, after today's events, I needed to do a snowy weather card for today's SCS sketch challenge. I used Stamping Bella's Group Hug image for the image panel here. I stamped it in shimmery white cardstock and used reinkers to watercolor the image. I love the Wintergreen designer paper, so I used that for the color inspiration. I think it's my second favorite paper in the Fall/Winter catalog (just a bit behind Fall Flowers). I put the designer paper pieces on coordinating mat panels and placed the panels on a piece of Soft Sky cardstock with distressed edges. I attached this to the card with dimensionals.

The sentiment is from the So Many Sayings set. I stamped it on a scrap of cardstock and punched it out with my word window punch. I attached it to the card with big snowflake brad with a pearly Dew Drop on the center. I just got my very first Dew Drops in my latest Kitchen Sink Stamps order that arrived the other day. They are so pretty and I love the little bottles they come in, too--so cute!

Off to shovel the rest of the snow that's accumulated since I got home. We probably have a little more than 3 inches of snow in all. Fortunately, we were allowed to leave work an hour early so I was able to make it home before the slushy stuff on the roads started to freeze. I'm sure tomorrow morning will be another unpleasant drive to work once the melted snow has had a chance to turn to ice . . .

Materials Used:
Group Hug image (Stamping Bella); So Many Sayings stamp set, Soft Sky, Bayou Blue, Always Artichoke, and Groovy Guava reinkers, Always Artichoke, Soft Sky, Certainly Celery, and Shimmery White cardstock, word window punch, distressing tool, dimensionals (Stampin' Up!); snowflake brad (Making Memories); silver bells Dew Drop (Kitchen Sink Stamps); olive grosgrain ribbon (Michaels)

12 comments:

  1. Hello blog sister! I really feel for you! Thank goodness California don't snow. . .:)

    Your card is lovely. The paper pattern is great and that snowmen group hug is a fabulous image! Really cute!

    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  2. great card! i think that's my fav. SU paper, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully done! I love all the elements you used on this gorgeous card! Those snowmen are so cute, and the Wintergreen DP coordinates perfectly!

    Don't envy you and the snow issues ... ever thought of moving to Arizona for the winters? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great card Lori! I love that image and those DP's have been my fave's this holiday season!

    Sorry to hear that a LITTLE SKIFF of snow stops everyone...lol...love how you told the story!

    Sure wish I lived somewhere that it didn't snow...I'm tired of shovelling already!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely card Lori!! That stamp is so darn cute and I love the colors you used with the dp!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good Morning Lori,
    I would love to have some snow!! Send some our way. Good to know you made it to work. Love your card!! Happy Holidays, Chris

    ReplyDelete
  7. hello...love the snowmen group hug....love the color combo and layout.

    Let it snow....somewhere else, eh?!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am in tears here... Laughing so hard... I know that you don't mean for this to be a funny post... but I find it hillarious that you left work early for 3 inches of snow! Ha ha ha I live in Colorado and if we get 3 inches we consider it a dusting of snow. Our town doesn't shut down til we have FEET of snow! In fact the mountains are looking at getting 3 FEET of snow today! ha ha ha. 1-1 1/2 inches causes the traffic gridlock? Oh my gosh!
    Okays so about your card... It is beautiful! I just bought this paper but havn't really played that much yet! this is a cute stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't say that I miss the snow or the cold weather since moving to HI but I love this card. So cute! I love the bella stamp and the dp is great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that image...it's soooo cute! Hope you have better luck in traffic. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I get the snow issue!! I'm in Southern Ontario Canada and we have a wee bit from time to time....love this card....and I love the huggers!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so cute! I haven't tried this challenge yet, yours is great!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips