Saturday, February 23, 2008

Shades of Gray

I made this card using Beate's weekend sketch challenge as a guide. Even though its images aren't my usual style, I got Baroque Motifs after seeing all the amazing things that other stampers were doing with the set. I haven't used it much, so I thought I'd pull it out for this challenge.

I stamped the large swirl image on a piece of Shimmery White cardstock using Basic Gray ink. I added the small flower-like image, stamping it randomly along the swirl. I used the lighter Going Gray ink to sponge along the edges of the panel. I layered the stamped panel on a piece of Going Gray, then on a piece of Basic Gray. I really like how these grays look together and with the Purely Pomegranate, too. I found a silvery gray ribbon to tie around the panel.

For the smaller panel, I used a scrap of Shimmery White cardstock and stamped the sentiment in the darker gray ink across the bottom of the panel. I stamped the round medallion image on a scrap in Purely Pomegranate, then trimmed around it. I did the same with the small flower image--that was a little tricky to trim around! I layered them and added a rhinestone, then attached them to the panel with a dimensional.

I stamped the cardfront with the Twill background stamp. I really like the effect that this background stamp creates. It makes the cardstock look like it's textured. After I assembled everything, I went back and added a Basic Gray photo corner, embellished with pearly Dew Drops, to the top left corner of the large swirl panel. I was worried that it might be too much, but it seemed to "finish" the card.

Materials Used:
Baroque Motifs and Twill background stamp sets, Purely Pomegranate, Basic Gray, and Going Gray Classic inks, Purely Pomegranate, Basic Gray, Going Gray, and Shimmery White cardstock, photo corner punch, Crystal Effects, dimensionals, sponge (Stampin' Up!); ribbon (American Crafts); rhinestones (Walmart); Silver Bells Dew Drops (Kitchen Sink Stamps)

9 comments:

  1. Lori, as always, I love your sketch sample! Beautiful card!
    Hugs and smiles

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, very pretty! I really love the color combo and Beate's sketch! Beautiful job!

    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks beautiful Lori! Those pearly dew drops are fabulous on there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the addition of the small flower image to the swirl . . . that really looks fabulous! This card is gorgeous, and the color combination is great. Love it.

    Thanks for posting the "Craft On A Whim" link in a previous post. Great site! I contacted Andrea, and she's going to feature ME soon! I'm totally honored, because I don't consider myself to be in the same category with a lot of crafters that have been featured! I'm THRILLED! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your card is very pretty, soft & elegant. The colors are very rich looking and I love those pearls.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely gorgeous! Love your choice of colors!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's not too often we see grey,but I must say it's gorgeous with Purely pomegranate!!! Love that set also,it looks amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great color combo - I've seen a lot of cards with this set - and yours is right at the top - fabulous card!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips