Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Sweet One Sketch

I have a baby shower to attend soon for a friend who will be a first-time mom later this spring. The mom and dad to be have decided to not find out in advance what the baby's gender will be, so I needed to come up with a baby card with a neutral color scheme. So, I turned to my stand-by baby card image, the cute giraffe from Wild About You, and combined it with today's SCS sketch challenge to create this card.

The giraffe is stamped in Yoyo Yellow craft ink, then heat embossed with clear embossing powder. I usually wouldn't go for the bold Yoyo Yellow, but for some reason, my Barely Banana craft ink is a mustardy brown and the Yoyo Yellow craft spot I have actually looks more like the Barely Banana should than the Barely Banana does . . .

I used different sized hand held punches to punch out the "spots" on the giraffe image so that when I matted the image, the punched out circles would take on the color of the mat to contrast with the yellow giraffe. To keep with the dotted scheme on the giraffe, I selected some green dotted paper from a DCWV pack I picked up recently. I found a piece of celery satin ribbon to tie around the panel. I also used the Polka Dot background stamp to cover the Barely Banana panel on the cardfront, again repeating the dotted theme/scheme.

I used the baby image from So Many Scallops at the point where the two panels intersect. I colored the image with markers, again using Yoyo Yellow instead of Barely Banana for more color impact. This took a long time--I would definitely not go this route if I were making multiple cards! I layered this on top of a second scalloped circle, then attached the pair to the card with dimensionals.

In a final nod to the dotted theme I have going on here, once I had the card assembled, I added a trio of yellow Dew Drops to the right side of the giraffe panel. They filled the white space and balanced the design a little.

Materials Used:
Wild About You, So Many Scallops, and Polka Dot background stamp sets, Barely Banana Classic ink, Yoyo Yellow Craft ink, Barely Banana, Certainly Celery, and Whisper White cardstock, Yoyo Yellow and Certainly Celery markers, scalloped circle punch, 1/16" and 1/8" handheld punches, Crystal Clear embossing powder, dimensionals (Stampin' Up!); patterned paper (DCWV's Nana's Nursery-Baby Boy pad); Flame Dew Drops (Kitchen Sink Stamps); celery ribbon (Michaels); Diamond Stickles (Ranger)

5 comments:

  1. soooooo cute...I love it! Silli

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything is perfect! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable card! I just love making baby cards!! Love the dew drops!

    ReplyDelete
  4. cute idea to punch the spots on teh giraffe - turned out great!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips