Saturday, June 14, 2008

Cupcakes, Anyone?

I used the new cupcake mini set from My Favorite Things to make these fun cards for two different sketch challenges. I really like how you "build" the cupcakes with different stamps so you can decide how you want them to look. You'll see some of the possibilities in the two cards I made today.

The first card is for Beate's weekend sketch challenge. I made strawberry cupcakes for this one by coloring the images with different shades of pink Copic markers. I went over the "sprinkles" with a Stardust pen for some sparkle. I tried a new white cardstock today that I found at Office Depot. It's by Xerox and is a nice bright white and pretty smooth. It seemed to work okay with the Copic markers.

I finally got one of the Swiss Dot Cuttlebug embossing folders so I had to use it here. I lightly rubbed a sparkly white pigment ink over the raised dots to highlight them.

I couldn't figure out where to add a sentiment to my card, so I ended up adding a small circle panel to the sketch. I put a ribbon tab on one side of the circle, too.

Materials Used:
What's Up Cupcake stamp set (My Favorite Things); Tuxedo Black ink (Memento); Moonlight White pigment ink (Brilliance); Sweet Blush cardstock, Sweet Blush stitched grosgrain ribbon (Papertrey Ink); Regal Rose Classic ink, Regal Rose and Certainly Celery cardstock, mat pack and paper piercing tool, 1 1/4" and 1 3/8" circle punches, dimensionals (Stampin' Up!); Stardust pen (Sakura); patterned paper (Paperbilities); white cardstock (Xerox); Swiss Dot embossing folder (Cuttlebug)

The second card is for Julee's Mojo Monday challenge. This time, I went with chocolate frosted cupcakes, courtesy of some Versafine Vintage Sepia ink. The pigment ink covered the colored cupcakes beautifully. I let the ink dry, then went back and stamped red cherries at the top of each cupcake. I colored over the cherries with a red Glaze pen for some shine.

The sentiment is from another My Favorite Things set, Icing on the Cake. It fit the image panel perfectly.

I used a piece of patterned paper with pinks and browns from a huge slab of paper by My Mind's Eye on the cardfront. It's edged with a piece of Rose Red cardstock that I punched with my Threaded Water punch. This is so fun (and easy) to use and makes such a pretty element for a card.

So, since I've covered both strawberry and chocolate today, I'm thinking the next cupcake card might just use some Liquid Applique for some fluffy vanilla frosting . . .

Materials Used:
What's Up Cupcake and Icing on the Cake stamp sets (My Favorite Things); markers (Copic Ciao); Vintage Sepia ink (Versafine); Tuxedo Black ink (Memento); white cardstock (Xerox); brown satin organdy edged ribbon (Morex); Threaded Water punch (Fiskars); patterned paper (Everyday Tango slab by My Mind's Eye); Rose Red Classic ink, Chocolate Chip, Pretty in Pink, and Real Red cardstock, Rich Regals brads, dimensionals (Stampin' Up!); red Glaze pen (Sakura); pink grosgrain ribbon (Michael's dollar bin)

5 comments:

  1. I am lovin' all of those cupcakes. I really like how you rounded the corners on Beate's sketch and the circle sentiment is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving the cupcakes too - fabulous cards!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I'm loving these cupcake cards Lori! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous cupcake cards. They're both yummy! Thanks for playing! :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips