Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Blue Bird and Brown Leaves

I made this card using today's sketch challenge on SCS. It came together pretty quickly using a trio of coordinating papers from a My Mind's Eye paper package.

I based the colors for the bird and branch images from Oh! What a Beautiful Morning from Unity Stamp Co. on the blues and greens in the papers I chose. The image is colored with Copic markers. I did a little sponging around the image in Soft Sky ink to soften the brightness of the white cardstock I stamped the image on. I really like the images in this set--I think it's definitely an unnoticed gem in the Unity collection.

I used a variety of Nestabilities dies to cut out the stamped image and the circles for the cardfront. Quick and easy! I tied a strip of twill around the long panel along the bottom of the cardfront and added a pair of brads on the side opposide of the knot.

Materials Used:
Oh! What a Beautiful Morning kit (Unity Stamp Co.); patterned papers (My Mind's Eye); Rich Cocoa ink (Memento); white cardstock (Georgia Pacific); markers (Copic); Soft Sky Classic ink, Taken with Teal cardstock, sponge, silver brads, dimensionals (Stampin' Up!); Aqua Mist cardstock, Aqua Mist twill (Papertrey Ink); circle and scalloped circle dies (Nestabilities)

Here's another card based on a sketch from earlier in the week. This sketch and some other great samples made from it can be found at Page Plans. I ended up with a card with just a little stamping but with a great fall feeling.

I based the colors for the card on the K & Company patterned paper I found in a fall mat stack. The pink is just a little non-traditional for a fall color scheme and I think that might be why I was drawn to it. I really like how it looks with the orange and brown!

I used a trio of self-adhesive felt leaves that I got at Target’s Dollar Spot last fall (that I’m just now cracking open for the first time . . .) for the focal elements on the cardfront. They’re layered on coordinating circles and attached to the orange panel with dimensionals. I used my sewing machine to stitch a zig zig stitch across the top and bottom of the orange panel where it meets the pink edging.

Since I couldn’t stamp directly on the patterned paper and have the image show up, I stamped the simple “thank you” sentiment on a word window punch. I added a copper brad to the end of the strip and attached it to the card.

Materials Used:
Short & Sweet stamp set, Chocolate Chip Classic ink, Pumpkin Pie, Pixie Pink, and Chocolate Chip cardstock, 1 ¼” and 1 3/8” circle punches, mat pack and paper piercing tool, word window punch, dimensionals (Stampin’ Up!); patterned paper (K & Company’s Fall Harvest Mat Pack); 1 ½” circle punch (EK Success); felt leaves (Target); sewing machine

2 comments:

  1. Both cards are awesome but I love that first one, gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous cards! I love how the bird is popping off the page on the first one!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips