Friday, January 16, 2009

Blogger Challenge: Week 82

This week’s blogger’s challenge assignment was one of my favorites—same, but different. We had to make two cards using either the same stamps and a different layout or the same layout and different stamps. I chose to go with keeping my layout the same. In the end, my cards turned out to be kind of a continuation of last week’s designer paper showcase challenge.

The first card uses some of the big stack of Bella Rose designer paper I’m working my way through. I cut a panel of the flower patterned paper and added a strip of Pink Pirouette cardstock along the bottom. I stamped the sentiment from the Best Yet hostess set in Riding Hood Red ink, then wrapped a piece of Riding Hood Red taffeta ribbon around the panel, hiding the seam between the solid and patterned papers. The panel is matted on a slightly larger piece of Kiwi Kiss cardstock, then attached to the Riding Hood Red card base with dimensionals.

It looked a little plain and bare to me, so I went back and added a pair of coordinating red buttons from the button bulk buy available to SU! demos over the summer. I used my white gel pen to draw on a faux stitch between the button holes.

Materials Used (all from Stampin’ Up!):
Best Yet stamp set, Riding Hood Red Classic ink, Riding Hood Red, Pink Pirouette, and Kiwi Kiss cardstock, Bella Rose designer paper, Riding Hood Red taffeta ribbon, Button Bouquet designer buttons, white gel pen, dimensionals


The second card uses exactly the same layout but with a different color scheme and different paper. This card has a much more graphic look to it. I based it on the grid patterned paper from the Washington Apple designer paper pack. Here, I stamped a sentiment using images from Fundamental Phrases and instead of tying the ribbon around the card, I simply knotted it and wrapped it around the panel. Instead of buttons, I used a trio of brads as an accent.

This is a great layout to use for making a bunch of nice cards in a short amount of time. Each of these cards took less than 15 minutes from start to finish. For more same but different inspiration, check out the other challenge participants. You can find links to their blogs in the sidebar on the right.

Materials Used (all from Stampin’ Up!):
Fundamental Phrases stamp set, Riding Hood Red Classic ink, Bashful Blue, So Saffron, and Pumpkin Pie cardstock, Washington Apple designer paper, Real Red 5/8” grosgrain ribbon, silver brads, dimensionals

18 comments:

  1. Both are fantastic cards! Love that you added the stitching on the button with the gel pen! So smart! Great cards!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, Lori...fantastic job! Clean, classic look. Funny how a few embellishments and paper can make cards look so very different.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great layout, Lori. I love the clean design. Super job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super layout and wonderful cards. The color and paper choices really made both these cards look so different even though you used the same layout.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The 2nd one is a great masculine card. Clean and simple. I love the first one! Those buttons are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Greata idea to use the gel pen to create a stitch! So much easier than actually trying to do it with my eyes! Neat, clean, easy to duplicate cards.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful cards...I love that checked paper, too, in ALL the colors! Great job with the challenge this week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very pretty! Love the simplicity...yet the DP packs a real punch! GREAT cards! {SMILES}

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lori, I am just now catching up on the blogs and I love all your cards lately. How did you attach your ghost heart to your card? I won some from Dee And they are beautiful. I have seen them on your cards in the past and told her how great they look.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Lori! These are fabulous! The first one is so simple, yet so elegant! What a great layout to use with patterned paper! I'll be sure to try this! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are wonderful. Great colors,and layout. Nice Job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Both cards are classics!!! The first is perfect for a female and the second is a great guy card.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Both wonderful cards!!! Love that layout!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a nice layout. Both cards are nice; I especially like the red!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is gorgeous! I love the simple layout and clean design. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love it Lori! Great layout, and papers used!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips