Saturday, January 3, 2009

Not a Heart in Sight

I have really been enjoying the lazy days I've been spending at home on my "vacation." I can't believe that it's almost time to go back to my regular work schedule on Monday.

I spent a little time yesterday working on some sketch challenges and took a little break from making Valentine's Day cards. I made this card for Verve's new Friday Viva la Verve challenge. It was a two part challenge that included the sketch and the requirement to use some kind of metal hardware.

I pulled out a set that I haven't used in a while--Thankful Blossoms--and stamped the pretty butterfly image for the focal point of my card. It's colored with Copic markers and painted with some Angel Wings Shimmers. I stamped the image again, this time on vellum, then trimmed around it and attached it right over the first image with the wings folded up to look like it's flying off the paper.

And, to go with the spring-like image, I needed bright, sunny papers. These My Mind's Eye scraps are definitely that! I knew the sentiment wouldn't stand out against these papers unless I added it on another panel, so I did just that. I stamped the words on a scrap of Lemon Tart cardstock and folded the end of the scrap around the panel on the cardfront. I added a pair of brads to embellish it and fill in the empty space on the left side of the sentiment.

Materials Used:

Thankful Blossoms (Verve Stamps); white cardstock (Xerox); Tuxedo Black ink (Memento); markers (Copic Ciao); Berry Sorbet Palette ink, Summer Sunrise and Lemon Tart cardstock, Sweet Blush stitched grosgrain ribbon (Papertrey Ink); circle and scalloped circle dies (Nestabilities); vellum, mat pack and paper piercing tool, brads, dimensionals (Stampin' Up!); patterned papers (My Mind's Eye paper pad); Angel Wings Shimmerz (i {heart} papers)

This card is for Taylor's Cupcake Challenge. I've been kind of stumped about how to use the Martha Stewart cupcake punch I *had* to have. I finally figured it out for this card.

I punched out the cupcake shape from white cardstock, then filled in behind it (in the negative space?) with some scraps to make the cake and the icing. I added a little pink rhinestone "cherry" to the top of each cupcake, too. So cute!!

The filled in cupcakes are layered on graduated circles, then attached to a piece of striped Imaginisce patterned paper left over from spring cards. I layered this on coordinating pink and blue cardstock.

I stamped the "what's up cupcake?" sentiment from the What's Up Cupcake set from My Favorite Things on another white circle and layered that the same as the cupcake images. I added a ribbon tab (again) for some interest. I'm making an effort to use up some of my ribbon scraps from my almost overflowing ribbon scrap jar. I guess you could say that it's one of my paper crafting resolutions for the new year.


Materials Used:

sentiment (My Favorite Things); Spring Rain Palette ink, Spring Rain, Sweet Blush, and Lemon Tart cardstock, Sweet Blush stitched grosgrain ribbon (Papertrey Ink); Whisper White cardstock, 1 1/4" and 1 3/8" circle punches, scalloped circle punch, mat pack and paper piercing tool, dimensionals (Stampin' Up!); patterned paper (Imaginisce-For Peeps Sake Color Me Happy); pink self-adhesive rhinestones (Target)

7 comments:

  1. These are both great! I'm partial to the cupcake card (maybe because I am hungry?LOL!). Enjoy the rest of your vacation. I think Monday is going to be a harsh taste of reality in my house. My son and husband have been off from school/work since the 19th. My school didn't close until the 23rd.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both cards are wonderful and thanks for the inspiration with the cupcake punch. I *had* to have that punch, too, and haven't done a thing with it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this is so adorable! How did I not know that Martha Stewart had a cupcake punch!? Thanks for playing the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh wow, i really like this negative take on this cool punch! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both cards are awesome! Enjoy today I know we did. Tomorrow begins the crazy days of routines. No more sleeping in for us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE your work -- this card is so SWEET!!! Love that cupcake image!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. http://www.gelove-nehty.net/forum/post65799.html
    http://thecodalliance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6192&p=15581
    http://lys.ae/vb/showthread.php?p=12959

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips