Saturday, March 7, 2009

Spring Verve

The weather has done a total turn around this week from 6" of snow on Monday to over 70 degrees today. So, some bright, spring-like cards were definitely in order today.

Here's my card for this week's Viva la Verve challenge. I followed the sketch provided and included the required pink, green, and red. My red's a little hidden, but I'll let you know where to find it!

I used the pretty butterfly image from Verve's Thoughtful Blossoms set for the main image. I stamped the butterfly on the pink background, on a white scrap, and on a piece of white vellum. I colored the butterfly image on the white scrap, trimmed around it, and attached it to the pink panel. I also cut out the vellum butterfly and attached that over the others for a 3D effect. When I attached the vellum, it hid the red that I used to color the butterfly, but it is there! I used my paper piercing tool to make a "trail" for the butterfly.

I combined words from the So Happy set to form the sentiment. I love sets like this that let you mix and match words to get exactly what you want to say.

Materials Used:
Thankful Blossoms and So Happy stamp sets (Verve Stamps); Rose Red classic ink, Regal Rose, Pink Pirouette, and Kiwi Kiss cardstock, white vellum, Pink Pirouette Patterns designer paper, mat pack and paper piercing tool, rectangle slot punch (Stampin' Up!); green dome embellishments, pink satin ribbon (Michaels); markers (Copic); Tuxedo Black ink (Memento)

This card is for a sketch challenge on the Verve Stamps blog. I took my colors from the bright ones in the patterned paper.

I liked how the flowers in the paper's pattern look like they're made of hearts (sort of) and thought it was a nice match for the sentiment I used from Verve's Hundred Hearts set. The sentiment is stamped in Pink Passion ink to match the card base. I sponged around the edges of the sentiment to make the white a little less bright--it really stood out from the colors on the card.

I added a strip of orange ribbon across the top of the patterned paper panel and a pair of matching pink buttons as embellishments.

Materials Used:
Hundred Hearts stamp set (Verve Stamps); Pink Passion and Pink Pirouette ink, Pink Passion, Pumpkin Pie, Pink Pirouette, Gable Green, and Whisper White cardstock, Pumpkin Pie grosgrain ribbon, scallop edge punch, mat pack and paper piercing tool, sponge, dimensionals (Stampin' Up!); buttons (American Crafts); patterned paper (My Mind's Eye-Everyday Tango); twine (Walmart)

4 comments:

  1. I love both cards and I love the color combinations. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These cards both turned out great. I love that orange paper on your bottom card. And I really like the pink buttons you used.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both cards are cute. I really like the butteryfly cut out. It really jumps out at you.

    It's a good life!
    Terri E.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips