Friday, March 27, 2009

Twinkle, Twinkle Little Stars

I made a pair of cards tonight using this week's Viva la Verve sketch. The twist for this week's challenge was to use only a sentiment stamp--and no other stamped images. I knew that Verve's Little Star Plain Jane would be the perfect image for this challenge. I couldn't decide between making a card for a baby girl or for a baby boy, so I did both.

I started by searching through my patterned paper collection for papers with a star pattern. I pulled out a bunch of different ones, then decided on one for a girl card and one for a boy card.

I did the girl card first using the pastel star patterned paper to cover most of the cardfront. I found some coordinating scraps of patterned papers from SU!'s Prints Series and Patterns Pack papers for the panels on the cardfront. I used my new eyelet border punch for the border on the pink paper--this is so pretty!

The sentiment is stamped in Lovely Lilac ink on an Almost Amethyst circle. I used some Stardust Stickles to fill in the open star images with some sparkle.

Here's the boy version. I used a monochromatic color scheme with a more masculine star patterned paper to cover the card front. I used the flip side of the patterned paper for one of the panels (it has a grid pattern that's hard to see in the photo) on the cardfront and another Prints pack piece for the other panel.

Since this card was for a boy, I stayed away from scallops. I used a Fiskars punch for the strip across the top of the dotted paper. With some trial and error, I've realized that the punch embosses with more depth if you press down and hold in place for a bit (makes sense, doesn't it??). I stamped the sentiment in bold navy ink and filled in the stars with some gold glitter. What a fabulous sketch to use to show off this fun sentiment!

Materials--girl card:
Little Star Plain Jane (Verve Stamps); Lovely Lilac Classic ink, Almost Amethyst and Pretty in Pink cardstock, Almost Amethyst and Pretty in Pink Prints designer series papers, eyelet border punch, mat pack and paper piercing tool, dimensionals (Stampin' Up!); circle and scalloped circle dies (Nestabilities); Star Dust Stickles (Ranger); satin ribbon (Michaels); patterned paper (Paper Pizazz-Stars on Lavender)

Materials--boy card:
Little Star Plain Jane (Verve Stamps); Night of Navy Classic ink, Bashful Blue and Brocade Blue cardstock, dimensionals (Stampin' Up!); circle dies (Nestabilities); light blue satin ribbon (Morex); Champagne Glitz Stickles (Ranger); patterned paper (Studio 8 Paper Company-Daydream Collection); zig zag stitch border punch (Fiskars)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips