Saturday, May 22, 2010

Birthday Girl

Here's my entry for the first round in the SCS clean and simple challenge design team search. This will be my third time "auditioning" for the team, so I figure either the third time's the charm, or three strikes and you're out. We'll see how things go . . .

The theme for this term's auditions is a great summer one--amusement parks. This challenge was to make a clean and simple card that uses a person (or group of people) as the focal image and includes a bold, flashy ribbon as a nod to the mix of colors, patterns, and textures seen in an amusement park. An additional suggestion was to add some texture--all while keeping things clean and simple!

I used the girl from the Pure Innocence My Balloon set from My Favorite Things as my focal image. She's colored with Copic markers and glittered up a bit with some pink Stickles on the heart on her dress and on the barrette in her hair. I added in a Copic-colored patch of grass underneath her and a sponged in sky behind her.

The image has only half of a balloon, so to get a full one, I stamped the half image twice on a scrap paper in opposite directions with a little space between them, then connected the ends with a black pen. I colored the now full balloon image, cut it out, and attached it to the image, extending beyond the panel.

The rest of the card is simple. I edged a strip of Melon Mambo cardstock with some textured, multi-colored pink ribbon. I ran a line of tape from my ATG along the edge of the paper and mashed the ribbon along it to get the ruffle-y look. The cardfront is textured using a new impression plate from Papertrey Ink. The texture shows up nicely, but didn't interfere with my stamping the sentiment directly on the cardfront, right underneath the image.

Materials Used:
My Balloon stamp set (My Favorite Things); white cardstock (Taylored Expressions); Tuxedo Black ink (Memento); markers (Copic); Cool Caribbean Classic ink, Pink Pirouette and Melon Mambo cardstock (Stampin' Up!); Sunshine impression plate (Papertrey Ink); ribbon (May Arts); foam tape

1 comment:

 
Blogging tips