Thursday, November 25, 2010

Papertrey Ink November Blog Hop: Holiday Tags


The theme for this month's Papertrey Ink blog hop is holiday tags. Tags are a fun and easy way to dress up a gift and the new tag dies from PTI make creating tags quick, too. I made two different ones to share today.

Here's the first one. This one uses the new Warm Happiness Too set. I picked up a pretty bag of flavored coffee from Target's Dollar Spot, thinking that this set would work nicely to create a pretty presentation for the coffee.

I stamped one of the coffee cup images on a piece of Distressed Dots paper, cut out with the matching die. The cup is set on a kraft tag cut with the Tag Sale 1 die. I stamped the swirly steam image above the cup in Dark Chocolate ink, stamping off once first for a softer look. The heart is stamped in red above the steam.

I stamped the sentiment on a red strip cut with the double ended banner die. The strip is slipped under the cup, extending beyond the edge of the tag. I added some red grosgrain ribbon to the top of the tag, secured with a brown button tied with Pure Poppy baker's twine.

Materials Used:
Warm Happiness Too stamp set, Pure Poppy and Dark Chocolate inks, Kraft, Pure Poppy and Dark Chocolate cardstock, Distressed Dots patterned paper, Pure Poppy grosgrain ribbon, Dark Chocolate button, Warm Happiness, Double-Ended Banner, and Tag Sale 1 dies (Papertrey Ink); foam tape


And, here's my second tag. This one follows a more traditional holiday theme than my first. It also flips open up to allow a little more space to write a message to the recipient.

I made the white die cut felt dove the focal image of the tag. The dove has a small self-adhesive blue crystal as an eye for a little sparkle and definition. It's layered on a pair of blue circles to set it off from the kraft tag made using Tag Sale Die 2.

I used the double-ended banner die again for the sentiment. This time I scored the banner near the ends for a raised look. To tie the sentiment strip in with the image panel, I added a scalloped accent at the bottom under the sentiment, made with the scalloped section from the Banner Borders die.

I threaded a piece of blue grosgrain ribbon through the hole at the top of the tag and secured it with a button and Enchanted Evening baker's twine. For a whimsical touch, I threaded a small bell onto the twine before tying it into a bow.

Here's what I did to get the tag to flip open. I cut a piece of cardstock long enough to die cut two tags. I scored the cardstock at the middle and folded it on the score, then carefully placed the die so that the bottom (the straight end, not the end with the hole) was just the tiniest bit above the fold, then ran the die through my die cutting machine. This left the two tag shapes attached at the bottom while keeping the tag shape. I arranged all of my elements on one of the tags, then cut off a little bit from the top of the tag, above the hole. The decorated front folds up and the top of the tag slips underneath the button to stay securely in place.

Materials Used:
Fillable Frames #8 stamp set, Enchanted Evening ink, Kraft, Enchanted Evening, and Spring Rain cardstock, Spring Rain grosgrain ribbon, Enchanted Evening baker's twine, Blueberry Sky button, Double-Ended Banners, Banner Borders, Tag Sale 2, and Peace Be Still collection (dove) dies (Papertrey Ink); circle and scalloped circle punches (Stampin' Up!); bell; foam tape

42 comments:

  1. love these...especially the blue one!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lori these are adorable! Love that Warm Happiness too cup! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooHHH I love the folded tag with the button closure! So cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love both of the tags! You did a beautiful job! Thank you for the great instructions on how you made your second tag. That is a really great technique!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lori, that dove tag is just beautiful. I love how it opens up. Wonderful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm liking that cute cuppie too! Great tags!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love them! You can slip that coffee one in my stocking anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute tags! Like how you have that special opening.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea with the flap! Lots of nice touches added with the felt and banner too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are both sooooo stinkin cute, but I really love the flip-open tag! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a super idea for the flip-open tag, Lori!! I love the banner on the tag as well! Thanks for sharing!

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great tags! They are both fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Another adorable tag with that cute cup on it! Confirmation that I MUST have that stamp set!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Absolutely gorgeous! Especially the blue one.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Two great tags Lori. Great colourways too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just lovely!!! The idea of the tag opening up is so creative! Perfect idea and sometimes you just need more space!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love how your tag flips open so there's more room for your message! Also, love how the button keeps the tag closed. Im gonna give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the way the tag flips open. Thanks for sharing the technique. Cute tags!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is so pretty AND clever! :) Love it!

    hugs,
    Viola

    ReplyDelete
  20. The tags are really pretty. The blue one is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lori, I love your tags! So very clever!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great idea to create extra space for a note. Both of the tags are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Both of these are beauties. Way to rock the PTI tag challenge.

    Happy Thanksgiving.
    Terri E.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Fabulous tags! Both are so pretty but I love the details on the blue one!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Gorgeous tags. Love the blue one, Lori!

    ReplyDelete
  26. So cute! We had very similar ideas on the Warm Happiness die and coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love it... u are oh so talented.... xo mwah.. happy thksgiving! xo

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love the interactivity of your blue tag. And the inspo for the warm happiness set

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love the flip top tag - great idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Lori both tags are FANTASTIC!!!
    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  31. love the folded tags! i especially love the warm happiness tag :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. So cute and fun...love that felt bird (esp. with the kraft CS)!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love the design of the 2nd tag and how it opens - great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  34. So cute - I really love the first one!

    ReplyDelete
  35. What great tags! I really like the second that opens. Now I am rethinking those banner dies--think I'll add them to my cart. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  36. These are both beautiful, the blue one has captured my heart :o)

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips