Friday, March 25, 2011

Papertrey Ink March Blog Hop


This month’s Papertrey Ink Blog Hop theme is creative ways to use embroidery floss. I thought on this one for a long time, trying to come up with something to do. I considered and almost used French knots, since I don’t know how to do that and would like to try to figure it out, but in the end, went in a different route.

I know that spring is on the way and most people are putting away their skates, but as a hockey fan, this time of year is one of my favorites. I’m looking forward to the NHL playoffs and hoping my hometown team (the Washington Capitals) has a long run that ends with the Stanley Cup. Even if they don’t, I know I’ll enjoy watching a team lift the Cup at the end of the playoffs. From watching lots of college hockey, there’s usually a player or two in the finals that I’m interested in following even if my team’s no longer in the mix. So, with that in mind, I went with a skate themed card using the Caps old-school red, white, and blue color scheme.

I die cut a pair of skates from the On Ice set from Soft Stone cardstock, then stamped the skate image on the die cut pieces in black ink, omitting the tied bow part of the image. I used Copic markers in shades of cool grays to color in the skates (another try at this week’s Make it Monday video technique!), then filled in the skate blades with a silver gel pen for some metallic shine.

To incorporate the embroidery floss, I used a handheld punch to make holes in the skates, then threaded red floss through the holes to make bold, bright laces. I left enough floss at the end of each skate so I could tie the ends together.

The skates are set on a red circle. One skate is attached directly to the panel and the other is attached with foam tape, angled for interest. I set the circle on a kraft card base with a trio of Bitty Box Basics patterned paper pieces along the bottom. The knotted ends of the floss are attached to the card with a glue dot. I stamped the “super star” sentiment from All-Star Team Additions in Enchanted Evening ink on a double-ended banner die cut and attached the strip to the cardfront, dressing it up with a pair of layered buttons tied together with Enchanted Evening baker’s twine.

Materials Used:
On Ice and All-Star Team Additions stamp sets, Enchanted Evening ink, Pure Poppy, Soft Stone, Kraft, and White cardstock, Bitty Box Basics patterned paper, On Ice and double-ended banner dies, Pure Poppy and Enchanted Evening buttons, Enchanted Evening baker’s twine (Papertrey Ink); circle die (Spellbinders); silver gel pen (Pentel); red embroidery floss; foam tape

34 comments:

  1. I LOVE how you used floss for the laces on the skates (which are beautifully colored, btw), and I love your color combo, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun and awesome use of floss. Fabulous design.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE those laced up skates! Genius. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. VERY clever use of floss -- LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really nice card. I love the shading you did on the skates and your patience with the laces.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fun idea, Lori! Looks so pretty this way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a perfect application for this challenge! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fun!
    Love hockey!:)
    But...
    the Wings are who I'm always rooting for...
    sorry:(
    great card!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think the possibilities are endless with this floss! What a great idea Lori!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So cute! Love the stitching on the skates.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the laces on the skate!! Too cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Perfect idea for the embroidery floss!

    ReplyDelete
  13. very cute! my sister-in-law's a huge caps fan, i wish i had though of this idea for her birthday card last month!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Super cute. My hubby is a huge hockey fan and my dd is an ice skater too. Great use for the floss. I am going to have to give this a try now too. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cute card! And . . . I don't know if we want to give up that cup yet, it hasn't been in Chicago for a long time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very cool idea, Lori! Excellent shading on those skates!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Excellent card! Love the skates with the red laces! Know all about the hockey season as my husband follows it faithfully each year! No favorite team. He taught the sport to little people years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love these laces! Cute card. Long line of hockey fans in my family as well.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Using the floss as laces is a clever approach. Alas, I prefer baseball to hockey. Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Clever idea - turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Clever idea and great card!

    ReplyDelete
  22. awesome card love your take on the challenge

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a fun card!! I love the skates and the red laces are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lori, your use of floss is great, but by golly, your coloring of the skates is astounding- way to go!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips