Sunday, May 29, 2011

Cute, then Classy

Last night, I finished my cards for May's final two Viva la Verve sketch challenges. They're very different--one's got a cute slant, while the other one's a much more classy style.

Let's start with cute. This one uses Verve's Chicks Rule set for the sentiment and focal image. The colors for all of the layers and panels came from the Sweet Nectar patterned paper I used for the three strips that run across the cardfront. I cut them a little too narrow to fill the front, so I ended up adding a yellow layer between the trio of strips and the celery card base.

The "coolest chick" sentiment is stamped on a pink oval and layered on a dot embossed celery panel. I stamped and colored one of the set's chick images, then cut it out and slipped it under the top of the oval. After wrapping a piece of lemon twill around the panel, I set it on the cardfront and added the photo corners. I have to admit that this was much cuter in my head than how it actually turned out, but I'm pretty happy about the next card, so that makes up for my being less than thrilled with this one.

Materials Used:
Chicks Rule stamp set (Verve Stamps); white cardstock (Taylored Expressions); markers (Copic); Memento Tuxedo Black ink (Tsukineko); Barely Banana, Certainly Celery, and Pretty in Pink cardstock, photo corner punch (Stampin' Up!); Sweet Nectar designer paper (K & Company); oval die (Spellbinders); Polka Dot embossing folder (Sizzix); Lemon Tart twill (Papertrey Ink); clear crystal (Studio 18)


Here's the classy one. I used one of my favorite Verve sets, Blue Skies, on this one along with the trendy yellow and gray color combination.

I started with a panel of sparkly plaid paper from a DCWV mat stack. I used scraps of yellow and gray to create blocks of solid color at the bottom of the card, then divided them from the rest of the card with a strip of bold, black grosgrain ribbon.

I stamped one of the set's sentiments on a yellow panel, then layered it on the card along with a solid gray panel. Instead of a circle element, I used a star punched out from shimmery silver paper. After setting the star in place with foam tape, I added a clear crystal flourish to the gray panel. I have a hard time using pieces like these, so I'm making an effort to figure out how to incorporate them into my projects. Like I said, I'm really happy with this one!

Materials Used:
Blue Skies stamp set (Verve Stamps); Memento Tuxedo Black ink (Tsukineko); So Saffron and Basic Gray cardstock. large star punch (Stampin' Up!); silver paper, crystal flourish (Recollections); Lemon Flower matstack (DCWV); black grosgrain ribbon (Papertrey Ink); foam tape

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips