Saturday, September 17, 2011

Catching Up with Chicks and Coffee

It's the middle of the month already (how did that happen??!!), so I spent some time this afternoon catching up on this month's Viva la Verve challenges. I used some of my newer Verve sets for these two cards.

Here's my card for the first sketch. It looked cuter in my mind than it did on paper, but I figured I'd share it anyway . . .

I made a tall, skinny card following the sketch. I used one of the chick images from the Chicks Rule set for two of the three circle panels. Each chick is colored with Copic markers and framed by a pink circle. The framed image is layered on a Classy Label die cut piece. A strip of pink grosgrain ribbon stretches across the card between the circle panel and the die cut piece.

For the center circle panel, instead of using an image, I used the set's "hola chica" sentiment. It's stamped in bright pink ink on a yellow circle. I added a pair of clear crystals, one at each side of the panel, as a simple accent. The pieces are arranged on a yellow dotted panel that's set on a pink card base. Kind of a spring-like card for a fall-like day!

Materials Used:
Chicks Rule stamp set, Classy Label die (Verve Stamps); white cardstock (Taylored Expressions); Memento Tuxedo Black ink (Tsukineko); markers (Copic); Pretty in Pink cardstock (Stampin' Up); Harvest Gold cardstock (Papertrey Ink); Modern Homemaker 8x8 paper pad (October Afternoon); circle punches (EK Success); pink grosgrain ribbon (Michaels); clear crystals (Studio 18)


And, this one is for this month's second sketch and for this month's Get Your Diva On challenge to create a monochromatic card. As you can see, I went with an aqua blue color scheme, accented with a little cream. In the process, I managed to use a coffee-themed set to create a totally non-coffee or beverage themed card!

I used a trendy aqua and cream houndstooth patterned paper for the two panels on the cardfront. To add some interest, I used a grid patterned paper for the sentiment panel. The "love you" was made by combining parts of two different sentiments from the coffee-themed Better With You set.

A strip of ruffle edged faux suede aqua ribbon is stretched across the cardfront as an accent. I added an aqua felt Jotted Heart die cut piece, stamped with the matching image from the Love Notes set, and a pair of coordinating tags stamped with more love-themed images. The pearl flourish was the final element in my design. These are a little out of my comfort zone, so I'm really making an effort to try to incorporate trendy accents like these into my designs.

Materials Used:
Better With You, Love Notes, and Making a Statement stamp sets, Jotted Heart die (Verve Stamps); Aqua Mist and Hawaiian Shores cardstock, Hawaiian Shores felt (Papertrey Ink); Party Teal Dawn ink (Clear and Simple Stamps); Lime Twist-Life of the Party 6x6 paper pad, Lush 2 turquoise designer paper (My Mind's Eye); circle dies (Spellbinders); tag punch (Fiskars); aqua ruffle edge faux suede ribbon (Hobby Lobby); pearl flourish (Want2Scrap); baker's twine (The Twinery); foam tape

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips