Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Plaid Dad and More

I'm working my way through this month's Viva la Verve sketch challenges.  Halfway through the month and I'm halfway through the sketches--not too bad! 

Here’s my first card—it was made in advance of Father’s Day, but just didn’t make an appearance here until after the day had passed.  I used the “I’m so glad you’re my dad” sentiment from Verve’s Father Figure set as my focal image. It’s stamped in red on a cream panel. The panel’s edges are inked with some distress ink to make the panel look a little less bright against the more weathered colors in my card.

I used a multi-colored plaid patterned paper to cover most of the kraft card base behind the sentiment panel. I used more kraft cardstock, layered on pale yellow panels and machine stitched around the edges, for the two pieces underneath the sentiment. To keep with the masculine feel of the card, I wrapped some twine around the cardfront and secured it with a wooden button. A trio of copper brads .

Materials Used: 
Father Figure stamp set (Verve Stamps); Riding Hood Red, Barely Banana, Crumb Cake, and Very Vanilla cardstock (Stampin’ Up!); Memento Rhubarb Stalk ink (Tsukineko); Tea Dye distress ink (Ranger); Destinations-Flash Cards designer paper Simple Stories);copper brads (Recollections); natural twine (Hemptique); wood button (Simplicity); sewing machine

And, here’s my card for this month’s second sketch. I went more feminine on this design, including both a doily die cut and a felt heart as accents.

I used a sweet sentiment attributed to Winnie the Pooh from the Hundred Hearts set as my focal image. It’s stamped in brown ink on a cream panel. The panel’s layered on a cardfront that’s covered with a pair of kraft background patterned papers. A piece of cranberry cardstock and a section of a doily die cut set the sentiment off from the patterns just a bit. A strip of dark brown grosgrain ribbon with a fuzzy felt heart at the end fills the open space on the sentiment panel just enough. Now that I look at the card again, I’m thinking I may go back and add a button or bow to the heart . . .

I’ll have my cards for June’s last two sketches ready to share next week.

Materials Used: 
Hundred Hearts stamp set,From the Heart die (Verve Stamps); Memento Rich Cocoa ink (Tsukineko); Cranberry Crisp, Very Vanilla, and Crumb Cake cardstock (Stampin’ Up!); designer papers (Pebbles); Antique Doily die (Lifestyle Crafts); felt (Papertrey Ink); brown grosgrain ribbon (Morex)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips