Saturday, September 22, 2012

Hey There, Sunshine

Here’s my card for Verve’s current Fanspiration Diva Dare to create a project inspired by another Verve customer. I saw Jen’s card in both the SCS Verve gallery and on the Color Throwdown blog for a recent challenge and knew I wanted to make my own version of her starburst design for the challenge.

I used patterned paper strips in shades of yellow and orange for my starburst. To add interest, I machine stitched (don’t look closely at how *not* straight it is—sigh . . .) each of the yellow gingham strips. The starburst is attached to the top of a yellow panel.

 I made a layered sun piece for the left corner, using some die cut circle and pinking circle pieces with a button tied with a piece of tulle. Verve's “hey there, sunshine” Plain Jane is stamped in orange in the open space underneath the sunburst.

Materials Used:
Hey There, Sunshine stamp (Verve Stamps); Memento Tangelo ink (Tsukineko); Sweet Mango cardstock (Gina K Designs); Harvest Gold cardstock, Lemon Tart button (Papertrey Ink); Sweet Day 6x6 paper pad (Echo Park); 1 1/2" circle punch (EK Success); pinking circle die (Spellbinders); sewing machine; white tulle

I kept the sunshine theme going with this card for the last Viva la Verve sketch for September.  It has a lot of layers and pieces but I think I managed to keep it pretty clean looking in the end.

I covered most of the light blue card base with a pair of layered circles--a fun print piece layered over a coordinating solid orange one.  To hide the uneven top of the circle panels, I attached a strip of light yellow cardstock at the top of the card base, then ran a strip of blue twill across the card to cover the seam between the panels. 

The "blue skies are coming your way" sentiment from the Blue Skies set is stamped in gray ink on a light blue notch-ended panel.  I added a fluffy white felt cloud and bold orange sun at the top of the panel and a little scrap of orange ric rac to add a whimsical touch to the card.

Materials Used:
Blue Skies stamp set (Verve Stamps); Bashful Blue, Barely Banana, and Pumpkin Pie cardstock (Stampin' Up!); sun, cloud dies (Lil' Inker Designs); circle dies (Spellbinders); Fishtail Stax die (My Favorite Things); orange ric rac (May Arts); light blue twill, white felt (Michaels)

2 comments:

  1. I love both of your cards! Such clean,crisp designs Lori.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the summery feel of these, despite it being fall :) You're a girl after my own heart :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips