Saturday, March 16, 2013

Retro Sketches #55-I Whale-y Like You


I’m back with my card for this week’s sketch from Retro Sketches. This week’s sketch comes from Laurie. You can see her original version here.

I kept seeing those layers of scallops as waves, so that’s what I went with—with a twist! My card features alternating layers of patterned and solid scallops, inverted to get a more wave-like look. I cut the scalloped strips with a border die, then arranged them on an aqua panel.

Once the waves were in place, I needed something to swim in them, so I settled on the whale image from WPlus9’s Bitty Buddy Valentines stamp set. This set definitely works for non-Valentine’s day cards, too! I die cut the whale shape from white cardstock using the coordinating  dies, then stamped the image in gray ink. I used dimensional dots to add it to an aqua panel. The little heart spout image is stamped above the whale in red ink.

I adhered the image panel to the right edge of the scallop covered panel using foam tape and added a pretty white bow, made with the help of my Bow Easy, to the top. The set’s “I whale-y like you” sentiment is stamped to the left of the image panel in gray ink. I layered the finished panel on a coordinating teal card base.

Be sure to check out the Retro Sketches blog for all of the challenge details and for more inspiration from the design team.

Materials Used:
from i {heart} papers: WPlus9 Bitty Buddy Valentines stamp set, Bitty Buddies dies, Tsukineko Memento London Fog and Love Letter inks, My Mind’s Eye My Girl 6x6 paper pad, Spellbinders Edgeabilities Classic Edges One die, May Arts white ribbon, Bow Easy, Sticky Thumb dimensional dots

Other: Bermuda Bay cardstock (Stampin’ Up!); Aqua Mist cardstock (Papertrey Ink)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips