Saturday, February 24, 2007

For a Sweet Treat, Try a Donut (Card)

I've been meaning to post this card that I did for a swap earlier this month, but just hadn't gotten around to it . . . The card is very sparkly IRL--the circle flowers are embossed with iridescent ice embossing powder. This is a "donut" card, meaning the holes punched in the front of the card go through all of the layers of the card. The flowers are visible when the card is closed, but are actually attached to the inside of the card.


It was a little time-consuming to punch all of the circles. Stampin' Up!'s whale tail punches are fantastic, but aren't made to go through as many layers of cardstock as this card used. So, I had to line up the layers and punch them piece by piece. To do this, I started by punching out circles on my main layer. Then I centered the stamped layer over the Regal Rose mat and punched out circles in the Regal Rose layer, using the already punched out circles as a guide.

Then I punched out the holes in the Cool Caribbean layer. I was able to reach one of the holes using the punch. The other hole was positioned in such a way that the circle punch couldn't reach it (didn't plan that too well, did I?). So, I punched out a circle from a Post-it Note and placed that sticky circle where the circle should be punched, using the already punched circle as a guide.


I removed the stamped image and mat, leaving the Post-it circle in place. I traced around the circle, then used my Paper Snips to cut out the circle--those super-sharp scissors are life-savers!




Then, I was ready to adhere the matted stamped panel to the cardfront, lining up the circles. I held the card closed and positioned the Big Pieces flowers centered inside the punched circles, adhering them with stampin' dimensionals.


Materials Used (All from Stampin' Up!):

Big Pieces, Small Sayings, So Very, Dots & Daisies, Love Without End stamp sets; Cool Caribbean, Regal Rose, and Whisper White cardstock; Cool Caribbean, Regal Rose, and Certainly Celery Classic inks; Regal Rose Craft ink; iridescent ice embossing powder; silver brads; word window punch; 1 1/4" and 1 3/8" circle punches; ticket corner punch; rose grosgrain; stampin' dimensionals; sponge

3 comments:

  1. I love it...I am so going to CASE this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great card.
    i found your blog by looking at scs for donut cards. i want to try making one the first time this weekend.

    this is a great tutorial.

    thank you for the work.
    claudia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lori,

    iam waiting for more cards on your blog! hehehe.. now the pressure is on. i really check daily!

    big hug
    claudia

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips