Friday, March 23, 2007

VSN Makes Me Happy

This weekend is Virtual Stamp Night (Friday and Saturday) again on SCS. If you haven't participated yet, give it a try--the challenges are a lot of fun. Here's a fun free-standing pop up card I created for the evening's second challenge. You can find the directions for this card here on SCS. For this card, I stamped the flowers from You Make Me Happy, then cut them out and attached them to the stand-up panel. I used a stampin' dimensional to attach the large flower and to attach the centers of the smaller flowers to give the images some dimension. I love the Elegant Eggplant and Old Olive color combination. Here, I added some Rose Red for variation and to give the card a more spring-like feel. I had to use just a little eggplant grosgrain ribbon here, since it just arrived in my SU! order today. Apparently, Cosmo was as excited for the order to arrive as I was because he managed to lose his footing and stumble down the three steps from the dining room into the front entryway when I went to open the front door to retrieve the box. There was a loud thud, but no apparent damage. One week and counting since our last vet visit . . . Life with him is never dull!

The cool thing about this card is that it can be folded down flat to stuff in an envelope and send. They could also make a fun centerpiece at a table (not that I do any entertaining that would require anything like that, but it's a nice thought . . .).



This card is a tie-dye card. I had never tried this before and probably never would have if not for this VSN challenge. You fold and crumple up waxed paper, then iron the waxed paper so the wax transfers to a piece of glossy white cardstock. When ink is applied over the waxy cardstock, the wax resists the ink so the pattern shows through. I was able to locate my craft iron (the iron that at one time was used to iron my clothes--that was before it became yet another item from my home that I sacrificed for the good of my kindergarten students) and iron the waxed paper without burning myself, Cosmo, or the table. As soon as I read the directions for the challenge, the idea of trees in sunlight came to mind. I rubbed on three colors of ink (Summer Sun, Cameo Coral, and Real Red) to make the background with that in mind. Then I stamped the trees and leaves from Trees Three over the multicolored background. I used craft ink, but probably should have dug out my Staz-on for this. I finished the card by adding a sentiment using a stamp from one of the sets of clear dollar stamps I found at Michaels. Last challenge for me for tonight--now I need to clean up so I'll be ready for tomorrow's.

Materials Used (Pop Up Card):
From Stampin' Up!:

You Make Me Happy stamp set; Elegant Eggplant, Old Olive, Rose Red, and So Saffron Classic inks; Elegant Eggplant, Old Olive, and Whisper White cardstock; paper crimper; eggplant grosgrain ribbon; stampin' dimensionals; sponge; 1/2" circle punch
Other: silver spiral clip (?)

Materials Used (Tie Dye Card):
From Stampin' Up!: Trees Three stamp set; Cameo Coral, Summer Sun, and Real Red reinkers; Ruby Red Classic ink; Close to Cocoa Craft ink; Cameo Coral, Creamy Caramel, Ruby Red, Very Vanilla, and glossy white cardstock; mat pack and paper piercing tool; taupe grosgrain; stampin' dimensionals
Other: Studio g clear stamp (Michaels); waxed paper

1 comment:

 
Blogging tips