Saturday, June 9, 2007

Look, It's a Butterfly!

I saw an adorable card on SCS using the petal images from the new Pick a Petal set to make a ladybug. So, I figured if you could make a ladybug, you probably could come up with a way to make a butterfly. And, after a little trial and error, I came up with something resembling one!

I found this color combination on the Color Combination site. I entered Bayou Blue and Soft Sky as colors I wanted to use and the site suggested Cranberry Crisp, so I started from that. I chose the long solid petal and one of the smaller patterned petals for the wings. I wanted the wings to have a shiny effect, so I inked the stamp with Versamark for the cranberry wings, then covered the stamped image with clear embossing powder and heat embossed. On the patterned wings, I inked the stamp with Versamark then Bayou Blue, and stamped on Soft Sky cardstock, then covered with embossing powder and heated it up. The clear embossed images really stand out on the card.

I cut closely around the petal shapes, then arranged them into a butterfly shape. I found that glue dots worked well to attach them. It took a while to decide on the body shape. I tried the large oval punch and a Fiskars squeeze punch oval before settling on the word window punch. It covered the messy parts where the petals overlapped and was a good size. I found some red wire to use as antenna. I curled the wings under to make the butterfly look like it was moving, then attached the butterfly to the cardfront with a pop up glue dot.

The flowers are from the Little Pieces set. The stems and leaves are hand-drawn with an Always Artichoke marker. There are tiny dots of Stickles highlighting the flower centers. I used a sponge with Soft Sky ink for the sky (of course!) and Always Artichoke ink for the grass.

Materials Used:
From Stampin' Up!: Pick a Petal, Little Pieces, Polka Dots & Paisley, and Everyday Flexible Phrases stamp sets; Soft Sky, Cranberry Crisp, Bayou Blue, and Always Artichoke Classic inks; Always Artichoke marker; Cranberry Crisp, Bayou Blue, Soft Sky, and Whisper White cardstock; glue dots; Crystal Clear embossing powder; word window punch; sponges
Other: Fruit Punch and Waterfall Stickles (Ranger); cranberry wire

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips