Saturday, February 14, 2009

Monochromatic and Mojo

Another long weekend--yay! I have no plans at all, so I plan to spend some time at home, sleeping, watching movies, cleaning (when will Cosmo the crazy dog stop shedding???), and of course, stamping.

Here's what I've started on for the weekend. I made this card for this week's Viva la Verve sketch challenge. This week's challenge "twist" was to use a monochromatic color scheme. I started with the idea of using the friend sentiment from Verve's Hundred Hearts as the focal point and worked from there.

The card is built with layers in different shades of pink, including SU!'s Pink Pirouette, Pretty in Pink, and Regal Rose. I combined striped and dotted patterns and added an embossed dotted background, too. I kept the embellishments simple, adding only a pair of pink Prima flowers and a white ribbon tab.

Materials Used:
Hundred Hearts stamp set (Verve); Regal Rose Classic ink, Regal Rose, Pretty in Pink, and Pink Pirouette cardstock, Sweet Always and Pink Pirouette Patterns designer series papers, dimensionals (Stampin' Up!); Swiss Dot embossing folder (Cuttlebug); flowers (Prima); rhinestone brad (Making Memories); white grosgrain ribbon (Michaels)

This card uses this week's Mojo Monday sketch. I really liked how the ribbon runs through the image panel in this sketch, but when it came to doing that on my card, I had a hard time with it!

I stamped a trio of tree images from SU!'s new Trendy Trees set. The Stamp-a-ma-jig made it easy to line up the trunks perfectly once I'd stamped the tree tops. I used Staz-on and an acetate sheet to create a permanent SAMJ guide sheet to keep in the box with my stamp set. Here, the leaves are stamped in Old Olive, the trunks in Close to Cocoa. I added layered torn Certainly Celery cardstock to make a grassy base.

The colors for the card came from the retired Fall Flowers paper. I threaded a piece of Certainly Celery grosgrain ribbon through the panels underneath the stamped image panel and secured the ribbon ends with a large olive brad. That's the only non-SU! item on the card. I haven't gotten any of the new larger brads SU! has started selling yet . . .

Materials Used:
Trendy Trees stamp set, Old Olive and Close to Cocoa Classic inks, Soft Sky, Close to Cocoa, Certainly Celery, and Very Vanilla cardstock, Fall Flowers designer series paper, Certainly Celery grosgrain ribbon, corner rounder, horizontal slot punch, dimensionals (Stampin' Up!); olive brad (?)

4 comments:

  1. These are both great! The ribbon in your mojo card is pretty spiffy! Have a great weekend with Cosmo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love both of these! That tree set is too cute! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I love that pink card. Something about pink and friends just seems to go together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful cards! I just love those little trees, so pretty. And I like how you did the ribbon on the second one.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips