Monday, May 21, 2007

I Tried to Resist . . .

I really did try--try to resist, that is. The doodle craze has struck and I have always felt that doodle-style images aren't my thing. I looked at Doodle This in the SU! Spring Mini catalog and thought, "That's one set I know I won't be buying." Well, several months later, after looking at lots of awesome samples and adjusting to the trend, I realized I couldn't resist any longer. And, in keeping with the resist theme, today's technique challenge on SCS was to use the crayon resist technique. This is such a fun and easy technique that always produces unique and pretty results. You can find a tutorial for crayon resist here. When I went to the Northern VA Shoebox Swap a few weeks ago, someone (sorry, can't remember who . . .) brought a card using Doodle This with crayon resist. Since my set hadn't arrived yet, I made a mental note that I wanted to try this out again once I had my set. So, here it is . . .

Here's my hint to make crayon resist a little easier. After stamping the images on the glossy cardstock and letting them dry completely, instead of using a white crayon to highlight spots I want to remain white, I use a yellow crayon. The yellow contrasts with the white glossy cardstock so I can actually see where I've colored and where I haven't. It is SO much easier than trying to look at the paper at just the right angle to see where you've shaded and where you haven't. It's also light enough that it rubs off with a paper towel without leaving any unwanted color behind. Here's a picture of how that looks before adding any colored inks.
After highlighting the images with yellow crayon, I covered the glossy cardstock with Pixie Pink, Almost Amethyst, Tempting Turquoise, Cool Caribbean, Gable Green, and Green Galore inks, using sponge daubers. I love those little guys! The color is so much more vibrant when I use the daubers than when I use a sponge to apply ink. I cut the finished half sheet of glossy cardstock apart so that I could make three different cards using the images. On this card, I accented the doodled panel with some paper piercing (on the black cardstock), scalloped edges, and some ribbon. I added some sparkle to the card by highlighting the dots and circles on the flowers with Ice Stickles. The glitter in this kind of Stickles is not as fine as the regular Stickles. It has such a fun, sparkly look IRL that, unfortunately, didn't transfer to the photo.
Materials Used:
From Stampin' Up!: Doodle This and Wonderful Words II stamp sets; Basic Black, Pixie Pink, Tempting Turquoise, Cool Caribbean, Gable Green, Green Galore, and Almost Amethyst Classic inks; Tempting Turquoise, Pixie Pink and Basic Black cardstock; glossy white cardstock; sponge daubers; mat pack and paper piercing tool; small corner rounder
Other: turquoise grosgrain (AC Moore dollar bin); Crystal Ice Ice Stickles (Ranger); yellow crayon

2 comments:

  1. I love the look of the resist here. It turned out beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOOOH, I love this card! Those colors are simply YUMMY! Great job!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips