Thursday, February 28, 2008

Sketches {by Tamara} #33

Here it is--my very first attempt at using rub-ons! I don't think it came out too bad for a first try . . .

I made this card for this week's sketch over at Sketches {by Tamara}. I've been looking at them on my shelf since I got them in January, thinking about how I'd use them and looking for just the right project to try them on first. When I saw the sketch, I immediately decided I'd give those rub-ons a chance. Since one of the rub-on pages was brown, I decided to go with a dark brown/soft blue color scheme. I love how Soft Sky and Chocolate Chip look together! I stamped the thank you image from Wonderful Words first, then matted the image on a paper pierced brown panel. This helped me to figure out exactly how and where to place the rub-on stem.

I made the flower from two punched out circles. The bottom layer is a scalloped circle with paper piercing around the edges. I highlighted the tiny holes with a white gel pen so they'd stand out a little. I applied one of the flower rub-ons to a scrap of blue paper, then punched it out with a circle punch. I put a silver brad through the flower center, then attached the circle to the scalloped one with a dimensional. There's another dimensional under the flower attaching it to the cardfront. The little flowers "scattered" at the bottom cover up some stray rub-on marks. I guess I still have a little learning to do on how to use these rub-ons . . .

Be sure to check out Tamara's blog to see what the other talented members of the card sketch design team have created.

Materials Used (all from Stampin' Up):
Wonderful Words stamp set, Chocolate Chip Classic ink, Chocolate Chip and Soft Sky cardstock, Soft Sky Prints Series designer paper, Love & Happiness rub-ons, Soft Sky stitched grosgrain ribbon, mat pack and paper piercing tool, white gel pen, brad, dimensionals

11 comments:

  1. I think it's gorgeous as always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What do you mean, "not too bad" - this is a beautiful card! I don't think I've used rub-ons much for card - more for home decor items. I find it helps to cut out the part of the rub-on sheet you want to use before applying - just a tip. It leaves the rest of the sheet looking a little disheveled, but the projects come out cleaner. I love light blue and chocolate, too!
    Hugs,
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful !!! I love the colors you used !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job with the run-ons...sooo cute! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. super pretty card...love the blue and chocolate...you did a great job with the rub-ons!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like the color combo here. Interesting that you are using rub-ons...they look good

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like the color combo here. Interesting that you are using rub-ons...they look good

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so pretty! I am a huge fan of your color combinations! The light blue and the brown is just fantastic together. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is very pretty, I just love the colors you chose!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips