Friday, April 11, 2008

Blogger Challenge: Week 42

Okay--I admit I took the easy way out this week and created what may be the simplest possible triangle box for this week's challenge. I have a good excuse, though. Saturday morning is my last graduate school class session for the semester and my final project is due, so I had to devote my attention to polishing up my stuff for my project and presentation.

So, here's what I came up with. It's based on a sample from a 3-D swap I participated in--I couldn't find the name of the person who created it, otherwise I would have given them credit here. This is a simple triangle treat box that requires no glue--that's right, no glue at all (except the glue dots to hold the treats in place). It holds just a few Hershey's Kisses and would make a great, quick party favor. It doesn't look like a triangle from this angle, but if you look at the sides, you can see a triangle-ish shape, I promise!

Here's what you'll need to make the box:


4 1/4" x 5 1/2" piece of cardstock (just 1/4 sheet of paper, so you can get 4 boxes per sheet of cardstock--not too bad!),

stamps and ink of your choice to decorate the box,

a scoring tool such as a Scor-Pal or a bone folder,

4 1/4" x 2" piece of patterned paper,

1/2" circle punch,

ribbon,

and a few Hershey's Kisses.




First, decorate the cardstock with stamped images as desired. Here, I used a jumbo wheel in a coordinating ink. With a wheel, you could get a bunch of these done in no time.







Then, score the long side of the cardstock at 2 1/4" then again at 3 1/4". Here, I used my Scor-Pal to make the score marks. Since there's not a mark at 2 1/4", I set my paper against the 2" mark and used the groove marked 4 1/4". Figuring this out was a challenge for my kindergarten-level math mind to conquer! Also, when putting the Scor-Pal away, be careful to not knock the dog in the nose with the board (it was his fault for poking around, not mine!)






Next, fold the box along the score lines. Now you can start to see the triangle-ish shape forming.

Pinch the top edges of the box together. Using a 1/2" circle punch, punch a semi-circular notch in the top edges, just a little bit down from the top edge of the box.





Unfortunately, since I was trying to both do the steps and photograph them, I didn't do a great job of showing where and how much to punch. So, you should punch the notch about 1/4" from the top edge of the paper and the notch should be a little less than 1/2 of the circle, so don't push the punch in too far from the side edge of the paper. This photo should give you an idea of how the finished notches should look.




Now, comes the chocolate part. Place the Hershey Kisses in the box. It will hold three. I know I said this was a no-glue box, but I use small glue dots to hold the candies securely in place. The glue dots don't really count as glue here, do they?











For the top of the box, hold the patterned paper vertically and use your scoring tool to score the paper in the middle at the 1" mark.

Fold the paper on the score mark and use the 1/2" circle punch again to make similar notches in this piece of paper.


Place the patterned paper strip over the open edge of the triangle box. The notched edges should line up. If they don't you can do some additional adjustments with your 1/2" circle punch so they're close.









Secure the box closed with a piece of ribbon. The ribbon will sit in the notches.


You can embellish the box as you choose. On my box, I added a tag punch that I stamped to with a coordinating image to match the pattern on the box.


Be sure to check out the triangle boxes created by the other challenge participants. Since we didn't have a template to follow this week--just directions to make a triangle box--I'm looking forward to seeing all of the different kinds of boxes everyone came up with for the challenge. You can find links to their blogs in the sidebar on the right.

Materials Used (all from Stampin' Up!):
Simply Said stamp set, Scatter Sunshine jumbo wheel and handle, Lovely Lilac and Almost Amethyst Classic inks, Almost Amethyst cardstock, Almost Amethyst Prints Series designer paper, regular and small tag punches, white grosgrain ribbon, 1/2" circle punch, glue dots

20 comments:

  1. Very cute! I love the whole lid idea! Great colors too!

    Tangii

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE it, Lori. What a cute treat project...love the corner cuts to hold the ribbon in place. Great tutorial too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fabulous idea! I think you just planned my next workshop! Great color choices!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tooo cute! I love the look of your triangle! {SMILES}

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute - thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is really cute! I made Kiss tents during the holidays. My girls helped, and they really enjoyed making them! Love it Lori!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is darling! I like the added "topper" you put in the triangle base. GOOD LUCK with your studies and the graduate program presentation!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome Lori! These look fun to make!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great triangle treat box Lori. I love the soft colors and the ribbon attachment is cool. Wonderful tutorial also!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a cute treat box! Your tutorial was great.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Clever! I love your version Lori!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Easy or not - still love your approach - it's very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  13. this is adorable, it came out great, thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  14. How cute is your idea! I just LOVE it! So flippin cute.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a great idea for a triangle box--really like the DSP as a topper!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What an adorable idea, Lori...I will definitely have to remember this one!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a very cute idea!

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are the cutest little boxes and I love the way you closed yours with a lid! Awesome job.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautifully done! Your tutorial is excellent as well! Thanks for sharing with us! :D

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips