Thursday, April 10, 2008

Monochromatic Birthday Card

I made this card for this week's card sketch at Sketches {by Tamara}. When I first saw the sketch, I wasn't sure of what I wanted to do with it. I mulled it over for a while before deciding that the tall candles from SU!'s Big Birthday Candle would work well for this layout.

I had a bunch of scraps of Prints Series designer paper lying around, so I decided on a monochromatic color scheme to help me use up some of the scraps on this sketch. I stamped the candles in Lovely Lilac ink on scraps of Almost Amethyst cardstock and trimmed around them.

For the flames, I stamped the flame image on a scrap of white cardstock and trimmed around them. Then, I covered them with glue and dipped them in Dazzling Diamonds. They are so sparkly IRL!

This card was so quick to make and turned out so cute. I think I'll make some more in different colors and using different patterned papers so I'll them on hand for kids and for masculine birthday cards, too.

If you have a chance, stop by Tamara's blog to see what the other card design team members have created using this sketch.

Materials Used:
Big Birthday Candle stamp set, Lovely Lilac Classic ink, White Craft ink, Almost Amethyst and Elegant Eggplant cardstock, Almost Amethyst Prints Series designer paper, Dazzling Diamonds, 2 way glue pen, dimensionals (Stampin' Up!); white satin ribbon (Target)

3 comments:

  1. Cool birthday card, Lori! I love the monochromatic look!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is fantastic, love the candles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your take on the sketch Lori! I LOVE the big candles, and I love the color scheme!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips