Friday, June 6, 2008

Retail Therapy

When I'm stressed about something, my go-to stress reliever/solution is usually shopping. And, since I'm in a slight panic about my summer classes, I treated myself to some (retail) therapy in the form of new stuff from Unity Stamp Company. I fell in love with the adorable images in the Giggle Grove kit and couldn't resist. The stamps arrived today and I broke them out for this week's Mojo Monday challenge from Julee's blog.

There is a lot going on on this card and I'm not sure I'm wild about it. But, I stayed pretty true to the sketch. I started by stamping the tree image in brown ink and coloring the leaves with Copic markers. I was going to punch them out from patterned paper and do some paper piecing, but my 1/2" circle punch bit the dust and I won't have a replacement until next week, so that idea went by the wayside. I used a sponge to add a little sky and grass to the white paper--it looked too stark and bare without it.

I stamped one of the bird images and colored that with Copics, too. I set the bird on to the tree with a dimensional. This was actually the second bird I stamped and colored. The first one disappeared somewhere in the black hole that is my crafting area. It's pretty much inevitable that it will turn up as soon as I finish typing up this post . . .

I used scraps of patterned paper for the blocks on the cardfront. They're attached to a slightly larger piece of Blue Bayou cardstock and stitched together with my sewing machine, then attached to the cardfront. I layered the image over the stitched panel, then added an additional circle with a floral embellishment.

The sentiment is from another Unity stamp kit, Sentiments O' Simple. I like the "giggle" sentiment that comes with Giggle Grove, but I didn't have enough space to fit it on this card.

I have a meeting tomorrow morning to work on one of my group presentations for my class, but I have plans for a little more retail therapy after that's done. I should have more to share with you tomorrow . . .

Materials Used:
Giggle Grove and stamp sets (Unity Stamp Co.); ink (VersaFine); markers (Copic Ciao); circle and scalloped circle dies (Nestabilities); Blue Bayou, Soft Sky, and Old Olive Classic inks, Soft Sky, Blue Bayou, and Old Olive cardstock, Summer Picnic and Soft Sky Prints Series designer papers, 1 1/4" and 1 3/8" circle punches, mat pack and paper piercing tool, slit punch, sponge, Crystal Effects, dimensionals; white cardstock (Papertrey Ink); blue floral confetti, green dome floral embellishments (Michaels); ribbon (?); sewing machine

8 comments:

  1. That's it...I NEED this set! Your card has pushed me over the edge...lol. Love this one Lori...it's perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fantastic!! Great job with that sketch!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous card, Lori! I am so glad I just had this set delivered yesterday! Great job coloring...love the bright green!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just gorgeous! Love the colors, the pinstripes and the dew drops. Thanks for playing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lori congrats on winning for your awesome card, you go girl.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Angelic! What a gorgeous layout. I love the scallops and that tree. SO adorable! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on winning the mojo contest! Beautiful card!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats!! I really love the card. The color and layout choices are so great together.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips