Friday, June 6, 2008

Blogger Challenge: Week 50

It's the 50th week of the blogger challenge--wow! This week's challenge was to use black and white only. I managed to keep to the challenge rules, but it was tough. I kept wanting to add just a little bit of a contrasting color, like red, but I held back. In the end I'm pretty happy with my black and white results.

There's not much stamping here, just the sentiment. I used a combination of patterned papers from a Making Memories mat stack that includes only shades of black, white, and gray. I chose to use a polka dot and a floral pattern together. I used more of the more delicate polka dot pattern so the patterns wouldn't be too overwhelming on the cardfront. The seam between the two papers is hidden with a piece of wide grosgrain ribbon.

The flower piece is several different flowers, layered together. The white flowers are white plastic flowers with a self-adhesive backing. I layered a small black velvet flower between them and added a flat-backed pearl to the stacked flower's center.

The sentiment is from the versatile Never a Loss 4 Words set from Kitchen Sink Stamps. I punched it out using my word window punch and added a brad to one end.

For more black and white ideas, you can visit the other challenge participants. You can find links to their blogs in the sidebar on the right.

Materials Used:
Never a Loss 4 Words stamp set (Kitchen Sink Stamps); white cardstock (Georgia Pacific); Noir Black ink (Palette); patterned paper, plastic flower embellishments, black brad (Making Memories); velvet flower (Prima); white grosgrain ribbon (Michaels); Basic Black cardstock, word window punch, dimensionals (Stampin' Up!); circle dies (Nestabilities); flat-backed pearls (Target)

24 comments:

  1. Love the paper, Lori! And your plastic flowers are so fun. TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you used the DSP to complete the challenge. Wonderful layout!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohh love how you put all of these little elements together. Wonderful! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is awesome Lori. Your paper is fabulous and your design layout works so well with it. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty! Love the layered flower--the white ones look like vellum.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lori! Great job with the Black and White. . .it is tough to not add a touch of color but your card turned out fabulous!!

    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  7. You pulled it all together in such a pleasing way. I love the DSP and your layout is super. Great job...

    ReplyDelete
  8. gorgeous, love the white ribbon, I have none and now I know I need wide white!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great card! Love the details on the flower and your background papers are "perfect."

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great card! I love the layered flower and how it all goes together. You did wonderfully!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great job...love the DSP you used and that cool flower!

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow! this is so fresh! i love this! this card is very well balanced...great job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great job, Lori! The DSP works great here! Fun, fun, fun!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a fun card, Lori! And I love those CCDesigns girls...great card below too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful card Lori! Great mix of patterned paper and a great design! Beautifully done! :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very retro looking! I love it! Have a great weekend Lori!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lori, this is so pretty! I love black and white cards!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Patterned paper really does make stunning card. Love how you layered the flower.
    connie paxman

    ReplyDelete
  19. This turned out beautifully!!! Love all the little extra details and that patterend CS is wonderful! {SMILES}

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just love the 2 patterned papers together and the flower looks great as well! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a great card this is! Black & White cards can be so spectacular....and this is definitley one of them! Fabulous job.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ouuuu! I can never get enough black n white. Gorgeous! :0)

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips