Thursday, November 6, 2008

Pumpkin Pie Butterfly

When I saw the colors from Kristina's color challenge this week, I thought there'd be no way I'd be able to arrange them in a way that I liked. I like all of these colors (Elegant Eggplant, Pacific Point, Pumpkin Pie, Taken with Teal, and Whisper White) and even like using two of them together (Elegant Eggplant and Taken with Teal), but the combination seemed really challenging once I had pulled out some scraps of each color and started to think about it.

I was pleasantly surprised when I pulled this card together in about 15 minutes. It helped a lot that my layout was inspired by Mary Jo's weekly sketch challenge. Like Mary Jo, I added a layer to the sketch using my brand new, just arrived from back order Top Note die. I stamped the teal Top Note cutout with the Polka Dot background stamp. I found some Pumpkin Pie-ish wide grosgrain ribbon in my ribbon jar and layered that across the Top Note.

I switched out the tag element on the cardfront and replaced it with a circular panel. The butterfly image was stamped in Pumpkin Pie ink on white cardstock and also on a scrap of vellum. I trimmed around the vellum butterfly and attached it over the image on the white circle to add some dimension. I layered the butterfly image on an orange circle, then on an Elegant Eggplant scallop edged circle before attaching it to the Top Note panel with dimensionals. The Top Note is layered on an Elegant Eggplant panel, then on a Pacific Point card base, fitting in all of the challenge colors in a clean, simple design.

Materials Used:
Priceless and Polka Dot stamp sets, Pumpkin Pie and Taken with Teal Classic inks, Elegant Eggplant, Pacific Point, Pumpkin Pie, Taken with Teal, and Whisper White cardstock, white vellum, 1 3/8" circle punch, scallop circle punch, mat pack and paper piercing tool, dimensionals (Stampin' Up!); 1 1/2" circle punch (EK Success); orange grosgrain ribbon (Michaels dollar bin)

9 comments:

  1. Fabulous Lori! When I saw the colours it freaked me out but you pulled it off wonderfully! Don't you LOVE that top note die? I need to pull mine out more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. perfect...isn't that top note fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dang, those vivid colors look wonderful! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the nice clean layout here. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome job, I love it. Nice and bright just like I like. Thanks so much for playing along.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow, these are GREAT colors together (some of them happen to be my favorites). It looks fantastic.
    Love that top note die too!
    Nola

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips