Thursday, January 13, 2011

Ahoy There

This week’s TCP Tuesday challenge was to use ribbon in an unusual way. I sifted through my TCP sets and decided I’d combine ribbon with my Whale of a Time set.

I paper pieced the whale using a scrap of October Afternoon’s Seaside paper. The cap was stamped on a scrap of white cardstock, colored with Copic markers, cut out, and added to the whale with a dot of glue. I built a simple scene for the whale using die cut circles and ribbon. I started with an aqua circle, then added a little less than half of a navy blue circle to the bottom of the panel. I covered the navy section with adhesive, then attached strips of ruffled navy satin ribbon, scrunching it up and smooshing it down over the adhesive for a sort of wavy look. Once the ribbon was in place, I added the whale to the panel using foam tape. A felt cloud is attached to the panel, extending beyond the edge a bit for a whimsical look.

I kept the rest of the layout simple to keep the attention on the whale. I machine stitched a piece of dotted paper to a navy card base, then added the set’s “ahoy there!” sentiment on an aqua panel. It’s accented with a navy button, tied with some blue baker’s twine.

Materials Used:
Whale of a Time stamp set (The Cat’s Pajamas); Tuxedo Black ink (Memento); markers (Copic); Aqua Mist cardstock, Library Ledger patterned paper (Papertrey Ink); Night of Navy Classic ink, Night of Navy cardstock (Stampin’ Up!); Seaside designer paper (October Afternoon); circle dies (Spellbinders); cloud die (My Favorite Things); blue satin ribbon (Michaels); blue button (Clear and Simple Stamps); baker’s twine (Divine Twine); white felt; foam tape; sewing machine

7 comments:

  1. Lori, this is AWESOME! What an incredible way to use that ribbon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome - pure genius on the ribbon! Love, love, love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great card lori! The way that you used the ribbon is awesome!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is gorgeous! I love your ribbon waves!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome and creative way to use ribbon!! Love your adorable whale!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jeepers, this is awesome. And Brilliant, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How cute and clever -- love this, Lori! :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips