Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Small World, Part 2, and a Craft Tool Review

No new cards to post tonight--I had to be at my class and got home late. Two more sessions and this semester's done . . . Actually, I had to do a presentation tonight about my participation in an online community, so I talked about Splitcoaststampers. Before class I was talking to one of my stamping friends and wondering aloud about what my classmates' reactions to my presentation about a whole community of stamping fanatics might be, so it was funny to give my presentation and find that a bunch of members of my professor's family are Stampin' Up! demos/customers and are on SCS as well. Just another small world story for you . . .

I was reading Craft Critique yesterday and saw that the current topic is adhesives, which reminded me that I have been meaning to post something about the new adhesive I've been trying out. I am always in search of a good adhesive for my projects. I mostly use the red Duck tape runners, but sometimes have trouble with the tape strips breaking, making whatever remains of the roll useless or nearly impossible to use. So, when I saw the Elmer's Sticky Dot Stamper at Michaels recently, I had to give it a try. This tool dispenses a single, paper-thin glue dot (7/16" diameter) when pressed down. It then self-advances so that the next dot is ready to be used. The dots do stick really well. In fact, once something is placed, it is hard to move. That can be a good feature, or a bad one. I like that the adhesive bond is strong, but I do like to have a little "wiggle room" when placing a layer. And, despite the little green image on the dispensing end of the tool noting where the dot will be placed on the paper, I'm still having a hard time getting the placement of the glue dots exactly where I want them. Because of that, I'm finding myself using the Sticky Dot Stamper mostly for big pieces, since being exact in glue placement usually isn't as important with these pieces. The Sticky Dot Stamper is refillable, which is nice, and I found it easy to change to a new package of dots (they come in packs of 500). For me, it would be nice if the dots came in a smaller size. I think that would work better for cardmaking purposes. I will definitely keep it in my tool kit, though.

Now I'm off to keep an eye on Cosmo, who decided to eat over half of a Walmart plastic bag while I was at class tonight. I see a visit to the vet in our not-so-distant future . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips