Thursday, March 15, 2007

Spring Is Here, or at Least it Was . . .

Yesterday, it was 80 degrees here. Tomorrow, we may see some snow. Where did spring go? Since it seems to be missing, here's a spring-y card using Trees Three. I stamped the trees and leaves in Classic ink, then stamped the blossoms in Craft ink. I covered the Craft ink with clear embossing powder, then heat embossed to give the blossoms some dimension. I also sponged in a blue sky and green grass. I've found that makes the tree images look less stark. The background is stamped with the Weathered background stamp. The pattern kind of reminds me of a tree trunk, so I thought it would work well with a card with trees. The pink panel is faux suede. This is done by distressing the edges of the cardstock, then slowly peeling the layers apart where they are starting to separate. The insides of the cardstock have a suede-like look that adds an interesting texture to the card. If that doesn't explain it well enough, let me know and I'll take some pictures to show you exactly what I did.

Tomorrow is looking like it will be a busy day. I dropped my cell phone outside this afternoon--open, keypad facing up, in my parking lot, in the rain. Of course I didn't notice this until I got home and by then, the damage was done. I tried to dry it with my heat gun, but no luck, so I'll be making a trip to replace it. I also have an appointment for Cosmo, my German shepherd/Golden retriever mix, at the vet to have bloodwork done. He had surgery in January to remove a hockey puck-sized tumor from his liver. He appears to have recovered, but the bloodwork is needed to see that there is nothing else abnormal going on. He's had a rough year (3 major stomach surgeries in just over a year's time), so he needs good thoughts sent his way. He has managed to dodge disaster repeatedly and come out stronger than ever each time, so I hope that this time will be no different. This will all be followed by watching the University of Wisconsin's basketball and hockey teams compete. If you look closely at Cosmo's picture, you'll notice he's dressed for the occasion with a Badger bandanna!

Materials Used:
From Stampin' Up!: Trees Three, Watercolor Minis, Weathered, and Warm Words stamp sets; Close to Cocoa, Certainly Celery, and Cool Caribbean Classic inks; Regal Rose Craft ink; Certainly Celery, Regal Rose, So Saffron, and Whisper White cardstock; Crystal Clear embossing powder; stampin' dimensionals; celery grosgrain; distressing tool; 1/16" handheld punch; sponge
Other: pink flower brads (Making Memories)

3 comments:

  1. Super card...I love this set (well, I love my tree stamps!)...good luck to Cosmo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great card. I'll send good thoughts Cosmo's way. I know how hard it is when our four-legged friends aren't doing well.

    Kacy

    P.S. Go Hawks (next year).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lori ~
    Ohh!!! I am sooo thrilled to be the ONE holding this card and calling it alllll my own ;o)) Thanks soo much for the RAK I received in the mail today!! I love the faux suede technique --- I had never seen that in person till' today --- it's just the coolest! Your entire card is sooo soo pretty!! Definitely going on my board of faves ;o))

    How is Cosmo doing? Sending doggie-vibes his way ;o))

    ~TFS
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips