Monday, April 16, 2007

Craft Show Creations, Part 4

Here's another item I created for the upcoming craft fair. These are coasters, made with 4x4" tumbled tiles, purchased at Lowe's. This set of coasters is done a little differently than the others I've posted here. They use a combination of Staz-on ink and Sharpie markers for the images. To make this set of coasters, I first stamped the image with Staz-on ink (here, in Jet Black). I used the retired Soft Swirls background stamp for these. Since the image is large, you can make quite a few of these coasters in a short time. After letting the Staz-on ink dry a bit, I colored the open areas (the hearts) with different color Sharpies. There is a trick to this, though. The chemicals in the Sharpies will interact with those in the Staz-on and make the colors smear and blend, so when you're coloring, you need to be careful to keep the color within the lines. Since Sharpies come in such a wide array of colors, you can easily create a color scheme to meet any need. After giving the ink and markers a little time to dry, I sprayed the tiles with an acrylic sealer and added little felt pads to the corners of the back of the tile. The inset in the right corner of the picture shows how the set of coasters looks wrapped up. I think they would make a fun gift to give to a friend--in fact, I'll probably be making some extra sets to give as gifts myself.

Materials Used:
From Stampin' Up!: Soft Swirls stamp set
Other: Jet Black Staz-on (Tsukineko); Sharpie markers; white organdy ribbon (Joann); felt pads (Target); Patricia Nimock acrylic sealer (Walmart)

1 comment:

 
Blogging tips