Sunday, May 13, 2007

Happy Mother's Day

I'm not a mom (and most likely won't ever be, other than to my furry baby, Cosmo), but every year on Mother's Day, I reflect on how lucky I am to to have such an amazing mom. All of my life she has always been there, supporting me and cheering me on in everything I do, and counseling me and standing behind me in every (big or little) decision I have had to make. Knowing that she is there has been reassuring to me as I've grown up and at times struggled with the challenging situations and issues that come along with being first a teenager and later an adult. She also had a tremendous influence on my professional life. She is a fantastic teacher, beloved by her students and their families. I know that watching her interaction with her students and her dedication to her job played a huge role in my choice of career and the development of my work ethic. But, she is definitely more than just my mom, my professional mentor, and grand-dog treat buyer and sitter. I consider her one of my very best friends, too. Happy Mother's Day, Mom!

So, now, about the card . . . The design is based on this week's SCS Limited Supply Challenge, which was to create a card with open spaces. This card is a perfect one for my mom. It reflects a lot of things about her. She likes clean and simple lines, uncluttered things, and that describes this card. Growing up, my sister and I used to joke about how all the walls in our home were one shade or another of beige and our mom used to respond that when we had homes of our own, we could choose to paint them any colors or patterns we wished. We would always respond that we would do so, but looking at both of our homes now, you'd find pretty much all of the walls the same beige-y colors we grew up with. I guess she influenced us quite a bit! The card uses a strip of patterned paper, accented with a strip of ribbon at the top and a paper pierced strip of cardstock at the bottom. In college, Mom sent me (and, later, my sister, too) several cards each week, many signed with XXOO--which is perfectly reflected in the Loves Me paper pattern. The heart is a chipboard piece, inked with craft ink and covered with Iridescent Ice embossing powder. In keeping with the simplicity theme, there are no words on the front, just a message from me on the inside of the card.

Materials Used:
From Stampin' Up!: Regal Rose Craft ink; Close to Cocoa, Taken with Teal, and Whisper White cardstock; Loves Me designer paper; mat pack and paper piercing tool; rose grosgrain; Iridescent Ice embossing powder; dimensionals; glue dot
Other: heart diecut (Sizzlets); pink heart brads (Joann)

1 comment:

  1. Great card, Lori. Love all the little details (pircing, brads, etc).

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips