Friday, August 24, 2007

Getting Punchy!

See this post for your last chance to enter my unbirthday blog candy prize. The winner will be posted this evening.



This week's challenge for my weekly blogger challenge group was to make a card that used punches as the focal point. I've been wanting to try a suspension card for a while, so I decided that this was the perfect opportunity.

You can find an easy to follow tutorial for suspension cards here on SCS. I pretty much followed the tutorial directions for this card with the exception of substituting monofilament fishing line left over from my classroom teaching days (great for hanging stuff from the ceiling!) for the dental floss used to suspend the punched image. Unlike dental floss, the monofilament line is clear, so I thought that would be a slight upgrade to the appearance of the card.

For this card, I used the five petal flower punch as the focal point. I inked the flower stamp from In the Spotlight in Groovy Guava ink, then used a Ruby Red marker to ink the dots around the solid flower image. I punched this out using the flower punch. It's the image that's suspended in the center window of the card.

I really like this color combination. Three of the colors together (Groovy Guava, So Saffron, and Ruby Red) make me think of fall, but the teal gives this color combo an extra burst of bright color.

Please be sure to check out the creations posted on the blogs of the other challenge participants. You can find a list of their blogs on the sidebar on the right. They are amazingly talented stampers! I'm looking forward to checking out their creations after I get home from work tonight.

Materials Used:
From Stampin' Up!: In the Spotlight, Priceless, and Dotted stamp sets; Groovy Guava, Close to Cocoa, and Ruby Red Classic inks; Ruby Red marker; So Saffron, Groovy Guava, Ruby Red, Taken with Teal, and Whisper White cardstock; So Saffron Prints Series designer paper; five petal flower punch; Sticky Strip, Coluzle and circle template
Other: red and yellow brads (Making Memories); teal grosgrain (AC Moore dollar ribbon bin); monofilament fishing line

16 comments:

  1. What a talented girl you are. This is great

    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good punch to use on that suspension card! Love it!

    Connie
    http://inkspiredtreasures.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice...great idea to step out of the box and do something that you don't see all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Neat idea to use the 5-Petal-Punch for a suspension card. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. great card - that punch is on my want list! :) love the colors!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the idea of using the punch as the suspended item!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome card! Love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome card. I love suspension cards, they are so interesting to view. You did a great job with your card and the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great card, Lori.
    Pt
    www.patstamps.blogpot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful suspension card!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How pretty, the colors are just wonderful together. Ida

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cute suspension card! I have yet to try these...one of these days!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips