Saturday, August 18, 2007

Inspiration, Part 2

Here's another example of a card inspired by something I noticed outside of my craft area. A new catalog from Pottery Barn arrived in my mailbox earlier this week. I get tons and tons of catalogs from Pottery Barn all the time and I enjoy looking at them and seeing the color combinations and different textures they're showing.
As I opened this catalog to the first page, I immediately noticed the similarities between the pattern in this picture of bedding and the images in my new Stem Silhouettes stamp set. The bedding set that caught my eye was in natural colors, such as cranberry, blue, and cream. It had random stem-like images scattered on the bedding. So, I started thinking about recreating something like this on a cardfront . . .

Here's what I came up with based on the picture in the catalog. I love the earthy colors of these bedding sets. I stamped one of the images from Stem Silhouettes randomly on Very Vanilla cardstock in two different colors of ink. I added some River Rock ink to the edges of this panel and to the empty spaces on the panel using a sponge dauber. Then, to add some texture, I cut a piece of textured cardstock from a slab of cardstock from DCWV. I stamped the sentiment that is in the stamp set in River Rock ink on River Rock cardstock, then punched it out with the large oval punch--it was a close fit, but it worked.

The final detail was a photo corner made with my new SU! photo corner punch. Here, I chose to use the smaller of the two photo corners that the punch makes. The punch makes it quick and easy to add this kind of detail. I wanted to add a button somewhere on the card, since there was one on the bedding, but it didn't fit anywhere in my design.

Materials Used:
From Stampin' Up!: Stem Silhouettes; River Rock Classic ink; River Rock, Old Olive, and Very Vanilla cardstock; large oval punch; Very Vanilla grosgrain; photo corner punch
Other: Colorbox ink (can't remember name of color); DCWV textured paper; copper brads (Making Memories)

12 comments:

  1. Wow, Lori. This is beautiful...very calm and serene.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, this is wonderful! Great colors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, what a gorgeous card!
    The inspiration challenge is my favorite on SCS...so fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the soothing colors!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, so beautiful! So elegant!

    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE the soft colors of your inspiration card! So soothing!

    Connie
    http://inkspiredtreasures.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMGoodness - that set is perfect for this challenge!! great card!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thought this card was stunning! I love the soft colors and serene look of this card. Great inspiration piece as well. Ida

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips