Friday, October 12, 2007

Blogger Challenge: Week 16

This week's challenge was to create an ornament. Well, since I don't celebrate Christmas and therefore, don't really "do" ornaments, I took a somewhat different approach to this challenge--I hope that's okay . . .

I live in a neighborhood with lots of trick or treaters. So, in addition to decorating my adorable dog in some form of costume (I think he is absolutely convinced that the doorbell's ringing for him on that evening!), I try to put a fun and welcoming decoration on my front door. Cosmo has a pretty big, deep bark and I've found that having something festive on the door is reassuring to younger kids who are a little freaked about the barking.

So, here's a door "ornament" for Halloween. The inspiration for this came from the presentations at the Stampin' Up! regional seminar I attended in Philadelphia. Jaron demonstrated projects using CD's and chipboard letters, so I used his ideas as a starting point here. Sorry for the poor quality of the photo of the whole project--I tried a few times to get a good photo, but my camera just wouldn't cooperate! I took some other photos of two of the three individual pieces and they seemed to be clearer so you can check those out for a look at the details.



I covered three CD's with different patterned papers using glittery Mod Podge. All of these papers came from a dollar package of paper by Colorbok that I found at Joann. They're in fun Halloween type colors and coordinate really well.



After letting the paper dry, I attached chipboard letters to each CD. The letters are traced from Stampin' Up!'s On Board Simon lowercase letters chipboard package. I actually used the cardboard pieces that came in our make and take packages at the regional seminar I attended last month--yes, I really brought cardboard back from Philly with me . . . I covered them with craft inks, then embellished them with some ribbon and other fun stuff. They're attached to the CD's using glue dots.


The three CD's are joined with a long strip of ribbon. I've made a loop at the top that I'll use to hang it on the front door. I used Sticky Strip to attach the ribbon to the CD's--so far, it appears to be holding fast . . .


Be sure to check out what everyone else has created for this week's challenge. You can find a full list of challenge participants in the sidebar on the right side of my blog. I'm sure you'll find tons of creative and stunning ornament ideas.


Materials Used:

Carved & Candlelit stamp set, Whisper White cardstock, On Board Simon chipboard letters, Green Galore, Only Orange and Black Craft inks, glue dots (Stampin' Up!); patterned paper and orange self-adhesive rhinestones(Colorbok packages from Joann); Glitter Mod Podge; gingham and striped ribbons (Michaels); Halloween buttons (Dress It Up by Jesse James); Stardust glitter pen (Sakura)

20 comments:

  1. This makes for a great "ornament" door decoration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely LOVE this. It is SO cute!!!!! What a great idea!

    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome idea. I love all the spooky sparklie on your project...it adds so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great project Lori! The little kids in your neighborhood will love it for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nicely done. It will look great on your door.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the idea to use Halloween for the ornament!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very Cute! What wonderful patterned background papers & I love the sparkle!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea! It turned out wonderful! The kids will definitely love it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome! I love this and may have to duplicate it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are wonderful, Lori! I'm so casing your great idea!!! I have a ton of SU Halloween paper from last year AND this year!

    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Who says ornaments are just for Christmas! Very cute ornament!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lori this is AWESOME! My daughter just caught a glimpse of it and needed me to scroll back up for her...LOL! It's so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  13. VERY VERY cute!! What a great idea! Jane

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful ornament! That is too funny about your dog too! Are you going to share a pic of him/her on here all dressed up? TFS {smiles}

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a perfect and clever Halloween decoration!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a cool idea! It's really out-of-the-box... and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. what a great idea!! this could be adapted for other holidays as well - definitely will be CASEing your idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This turned out GREAT!! Love the colors, and the sparkle! =)

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips