Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Happy Birthday, Dad!

Today's my dad's birthday, which presents somewhat of a problem for me. The gift's not the problem--but the card is. I have such a hard time with masculine cards! I've pretty much exhausted my existing masculine sets/images for previous years and my dad's not a Boho West kind of guy, so my Wanted set won't be much help here. I decided to go with the chef from Voila for a fun birthday card.

I stamped the chef on white cardstock, then used paper piercing to fill in some details. I used some of the scraps of patterned paper from my Palette of Prints papers for the cake and the chef's bandanna (is that the right term?) and cuff. The pants are made with Brilliant Blue cardstock stamped with the Sanded background.

I placed the chef image on the cardfront on an angle. The kraft cardfront is stamped with the Linen background for more texture. I used some more Prints Series paper here and covered the line where the paper meets the cardfront with a strip of ribbon. The ribbon's not tied in a bow in an attempt to be more masculine. I added the sentiment on a punched circle.

I hope the little details don't keep the card from being masculine enough (Stickles on the candle, ribbon). I guess the nice thing about giving a card to my dad is that at least no matter what the card looks like, I know he'll be impressed by my effort. . .

Materials Used:
Voila, Linen, and Sanded background stamp sets, Basic Black, Going Gray, and Brilliant Blue Classic inks, Kraft, Brilliant Blue, So Saffron, Brushed Silver, and Whisper White cardstock, So Saffron and Rose Red Prints Series designer paper, Chocolate Chip wide grosgrain, dimensionals (Stampin' Up!); 1 1/2" circle punch (EK Success); small skinny oval (Amuse); Gold Stickles (Ranger)

4 comments:

  1. It's beautiful and I'm sure he will be very impressed withit!!!
    The ribbon isn't feminine...it adds a perfect touch on there.
    Great job,TFS!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thin that makes a beautiful masculine card! He'll be sure to love it! TFS {smiles}

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lori,
    What a special card for your dad!! I keep resisting this little chef! Chris

    ReplyDelete
  4. The card looks great! I think everyone has a hard time with masculine cards. I do! ;)

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips