Friday, December 7, 2007

Blogger Challenge: Week 24

This week's blogger challenge was to have a watercolored focal point or use a watercolor technique on your card. In addition to meeting this week's challenge, this is the holiday card I'm sending out to family and friends. I've known that this was what I was going to do for a holiday card since I attended the SU! Regional seminar in Philadelphia in September. Jaron demonstrated a card using the Santa image from Naughty & Nice (from the Holiday mini) and the Dashing Designer Series paper.

Here's the card I came up with based on Jaron's idea. I modified the design so it would be appropriate to send to family and friends who celebrate either Christmas or Hanukkah. I decided to use the Simple Snowman stamp set for the main image. Even though this set was new to SU! in the Fall/Winter Collection catalog, it will be retiring at the end of this catalog. I was kind of surprised to see how many of the sets featuring snowman images are retiring this time (Frosty, It's Snow Time, Flaky Friends, Cold Play). I guess there will be lots of new ones in next winter's catalog.

I stamped the snowman and the "peace" garland in black ink on Shimmery White cardstock. I used an aquapainter and reinkers to watercolor the image in colors that matched the Wintergreen designer papers. It doesn't show in the photo, but I added some white Fun Flock to the snowman's hat for some texture. I thought about adding a tiny pom pom at the top of the hat, too, but I was worried that I wouldn't be able to mail the cards as easily if I did that.

I used a bunch of different designs from the Wintergreen paper pack, so the cards aren't all the same look. I also used Soft Sky double stitched grosgrain on some of the cards for variety.

I like to do something a different than the traditional card format for my holiday card. Last year I did a buckle card and the year before I did a waterfall card and before that, a shaker card. I really like the fun fold this card uses. Here's a picture of how the card opens. This design was also pretty easy to make a bunch of, especially when compared to making multiple waterfall or shaker cards!

I'm not sure that the cards are complete, though. I'm thinking of stamping some kind of sentiment on the front of the card in the bottom right corner. What do you think?

Materials Used:
Simple Snowman stamp set, Blue Bayou, Certainly Celery, and Basic Black Classic inks, Soft Sky, Certainly Celery, and Blue Bayou reinkers, Soft Sky, Blue Bayou, and Shimmery White cardstock, Wintergreen Designer Series paper, Soft Sky double stitched grosgrain, aquapainter, 2 way glue pen (Stampin' Up!); white fun flock (Stampendous)

18 comments:

  1. What an adorable Christmas card. I love your unique fold...very creative. Your watercoloring is wonderful. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the folding. I have wanted to try that for a while but was one of those things you "forget" about. I love the colors in this. I think he looks SO CUTE!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cool card!!! Love the way you colored the stamped image and the paper cut on the bias is way cool! Great take on the challenge, Lori!

    Anita Van Hal
    stampn@westriv.com
    www.anitastamps.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy color combo. Great folding technique.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awwww, what a great image to choose - wonderful job w/ the technique. Great layout too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super cute Lori! I love how your card works for everyone this holiday season. Great colors too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. a wonderful card and great colors!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it just the way it is Lori! It's beautiful and I think the peace garland the different fold make it interesting enough.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is really cute! Love the layout of your card and the papers you used.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great coloring job and neat fold too. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. this turned out soo cute!! love the color combo too!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this card Lori! I need to try one of those!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This card is just adorable. Love the fold!
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is such an adorable card, love the layout.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great watercoloring and I love the fold that you used! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love it! The colors and image are perfect! I absolutley love the fold!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is such a great design! Love the fold out part! I just found your blog through SCS. It's wonderful! Lately, I'm in a "less is more" phase, so I think your card is perfect just the way it is! :D

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips