Friday, May 30, 2008

Blogger Challenge: Week 49

This week's challenge was to feature animals. I have collected lots of animal stamps so it was hard to decide what to do! I decided to go with a summery theme and make a card using Crab & Company. I resisted this set when it first appeared, but I finally caved and bought it a while ago. I like the whimsical line art style of the images. It looks like it's drawn by the same artist who created one of my other favorite animal sets, Unfrogettable.

I decided to create a scene for the little crabby guy by making a shadow box card. You can find a tutorial for making these fun cards here. The cutout for the card and the scalloped frame were made using Nestabilities dies. These made the card really easy to do! After I made the circle opening, I used a Scor-Pal to create the score lines on the pieces for the front and back of the card.

For the scene, I stamped the crab image on a scrap of of white cardstock and colored it with Copic markers, then trimmed closely around it. For the background, I used some scraps of kraft cardstock. I tore the cardstock and then, to get the "sandy effect," I rubbed my white craft ink pad along the torn edge. I layered the pieces, using foam tape between some of the layers to create a varied shoreline. Originally, I had planned to place the crab image in the scene using dimensionals, but because the image has some tiny parts, I ended up gluing it directly to the scene. I found some small wiggly eyes in my collection and attached those to the crab image--cute! I added some more ocean life (shells, starfish) in among the layers of sand, too.

I have tons and tons of small chipboard hearts from a recent bulk buy purchase opportunity for SU! demos, so I decided to add one to the crab's hand. I inked it with red craft ink, then attached it to the scene with dimensionals. To match the heart, I used the "shore do love you" sentiment as an accent.

If you have a chance, check out what the other challenge players have created for this week's challenge. I'm sure you'll find a bunch of great ideas.

Materials Used:
Crab & Company and Twill background stamps, Night of Navy Classic ink, Real Red and White Craft inks, Bashful Blue, Brocade Blue, Real Red, and Kraft cardstock, 1 1/4" and 1 3/8" circle punches, Bashful Blue striped grosgrain ribbon, chipboard heart, dimensionals (Stampin' Up!); Tuxedo Black ink (Memento); circle and scalloped circle dies (Nestabilities); markers (Copic Ciao); white cardstock (Georgia Pacific); foam tape; wiggly eyes

21 comments:

  1. GREAT card - I love the waves, they look so real!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Lori. What a great shadow box card. Love all the detail you put into not only the background stamped on the card, but with Mr. Crabby too! Awesome job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute card. The colors are so bright and cheerful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your card is SO cute and Vibrant!!!!!! Way COOOL


    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is adorable! I just love how used the chipboard heart. Great detail!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous job, Lori! Love the shadow box, the sand and his googlie eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your shadow box turned out wonderful Lori! The sand looks perfect! You really did a fantastic job with this set! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love how the shadow box came out - the colors are just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This has got to be the cutest card I have seen yet with this stamp set! ADORABLE! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness, I love your crabby and heart and beach!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How cute is this! I love that crab (still don't own the set) and the way you did your waves is fantastic. Love the little heart too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a creative card! I love it! Great shadow box effect with the sandy layers. The Chipboard heart is a fabulous addition...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the lil crab!!! That sand is done perfectly! Great job! {SMILES}

    ReplyDelete
  14. love the scene you've created...adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Terrific card Lori. I just love the dimension.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The dimension and sand details are just wonderful! Mr Crabby is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is so very cute! Makes me want to bring out my Crab & Co. set!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very cute card! I love how you made it a shadow box. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very cute card...love the layers of waves. I still need to try one of those...thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fantastic shadow box card Lori....awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is one of the cutest shadow boxes I've ever seen! FAB-U-LOUS!!!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips