Sunday, September 28, 2008

"Bee" Out of the Box

This morning I'm heading to a stamp show not too far (okay, about an hour or so away) from my house. I'm looking forward to meeting Tracey from Starving Artistamps there. I'm bringing her a few of the cards I've made with images from Starving Artistamps for the display boards at her booth and this one made for a challenge she recently issued on the Starving Artistamps blog.

The challenge was to create a "Swedish" style collage card. This style is definitely out of my stamping box! It includes using bright colors and a mix of patterns, chipboard words, staples, and buttons along with an image all on a square card. This is my first try at it and I'm actually pretty pleased with the way it turned out.

My theme is "be mine." I used the bee image from the DoodleFactory Valentines set for my main image. It's colored with Copic markers and highlighted with a little glitter. I paired two different patterned papers featuring hearts and shades of pinks and reds. For me, staying in the same color family helped me to pull the elements of this challenge together. Maybe someday I'll figure out a way to pair totally different patterns and colors . . .

I used pink dotted chipboard letters that I got in the Target dollar spot to spell "mine." Get it?? Bee mine?? I added a heart button as the dot on the "i" and placed two more heart buttons along the top right side of the card.

If you want to give this style a try, you can find details on the challenge and more examples here on the Starving Artistamps blog. You have a few more days to submit your entry and be eligible to win one full sheet of unmounted Starving Artistamps or DoodleFactory images.

Materials Used:
bee image (DoodleFactory's Valentines Set from Starving Artistamps); patterned paper (Me & My Big Ideas, Love Elsie); white cardstock (Xerox); Tuxedo Black ink (Memento); Real Red and Pixie Pink cardstock, 1 3/4" circle punch, Real Red grosgrain ribbon, Dazzling Diamonds, glue dots, dimensionals (Stampin' Up!); 1 1/2" circle punch (EK Success); chipboard letters (Target); staple

2 comments:

  1. Cute cute cute Lori. Have fun at the show!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this is adorable and I love the buttons you added....cool Lori!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips